Simon LeBon- voice training or AutoTune LIVE ?

Alanfc

• Members

so I stumble across this 2006 Duran Duran concert on VH-1 Classic.

Duran Duran, not my faves (back then I was into VH and Scorpions), but hey they were playing some heavy number that was cool and very unusual. Then they went into a classic "Say A Prayer"...Mr. LeBon's voice, great intonation, fantastic tone whaaa ?? I've seen them live on other occasions in the early days and his singing was DREADFUL.

Now , its fantastic.

So is it voice-training or Autotune?. Is there a live app for that?

Maybe someone intheknow here can answer.

thanks

• Members

It is nice to see them all together again. I'm glad they've all survived the craziness of their superstardom at such young ages, and their drug addictions and whatnot.

I don't think they are above using Autotune at all. The real talent in that band has always been John Taylor's bass and Nick Rhoads' keyboard work.

LeBon makes a great frontman, but his vocals have never been anything special.

However, I do remember him -at least I assume it was him- hitting some really high notes, and holding them at the end of "Ordinary World". I was impressed with that.

I've always had a special place for Duran Duran though. I love that a band that visual and image conscious can still be completely homegrown, play all their own instruments, and write their own songs.

And their old videos are still among my favorites, especially Hungry Like The Wolf".

• Members

While I don't normally put "voice training" and "Simon LeBon" in the same sentence, I'd be willing to wager there's a good bit of simply having developed into the job, for him. After all, he joined the band by answering an ad in the paper that advertised needing a "frontman for a poser band" where vocal skills weren't the highest priority.

I pretty much dig them, as well, although it took me a while.

• Members

I saw a documentary on Duran Duran, and it showed him doing an hour of rather difficult-sounding vocal warm-ups before recording, for whatever that's worth - and he was doing them quite well. He apparently does this all the time. He sounded really good doing these difficult exercises (although I suppose it's possible that the film crew had AutoTune! :D).

I don't know whether he uses AutoTune or not, but if he's doing this much vocal exercises, chances are he's gotten a helluva lot better through the years.

• Members

Never was a Duran fan, but it's interesting: I've seen quite a few 80's bands recently who are as good or better than they were 20-25 years ago. And many of em seem like they're having a better time and look better/healthier.

I think a lot of those bands were pretty screwed up on coke in those days which also made them have unbearable attitudes. Now that they're a bit older and have cleaned up it seems they're better than "back in the day."

• Members

Originally posted by Super 8
The real talent in that band has always been John Taylor's bass and Nick Rhoads' keyboard work.

My wife is a casual fan, so I have been listening to them for years.

I have seen them live three (or four) times.... and I can definately say that there is a magic with the old line up together. But... the line up with Warren Cucarillo (sorry for the spelling) and the studio drummer was by far the best musicianship they had.

Seeing Andy Talyor struggle with Warren's lines was painful. I just wanted him to get back to doing HIS thing. In his comfort zone, he does the job well.

:)

• Members

I've been a hug fan throughout the years. I would definitely credit the strong vocal performance to Simon being a professional singer for the past 25 years.

I was sorry to see the reunion, though. While it's great to have John back on bass (amazing player), Warren Cuccurullo was a much stronger guitar player than Andy -- after all, Warren came from the Zappa camp and then Missing Persons.

• Members

Not a big fan myself, but didn't LeBon overcome throat surgery and have to learn to sing all over again? I believe this occurred between the Duran Duran heyday and the reunion (I'm guessing the 90's).

As this is HC, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken. :love:

But let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Members

The last time I saw Duran Duran in concert I was sitting in second row center with all these gyrating chicks around me. Simon took a giant swig of water and spit it all over the first four rows of people. My wife was wiping off the spit wa and rubbing it all over herself.:confused:

Originally posted by M-1 Fan

The last time I saw Duran Duran in concert I was sitting in second row center with all these gyrating chicks around me. Simon took a giant swig of water and spit it all over the first four rows of people. My wife was wiping off the spit wa and rubbing it all over herself.
:confused:

You should be thankful it was only water... and that she only rubbed it over her :D

• Members

I think the singer for Duran Duran sang wonderfully in the 80s considering the number of problems sound companies faced due to the lack of technology. It's no surprise that they sing even better nowdays. But I dont see a crime in the use of Autotune. I use it in the studio and it quickly becomes your best friend when someone can't sing on key. There are alot of great "sounding" singers who can't stay on key. It'a all about having a good time and letting your ears enjoy the music. Autotune makes sure that happens, not to mention the added "effects" that is possible LIVE.

Autotune has a slight imperfection though that gives it away. Because it can only travel the scale like a keyboard you end of with a "technical" singer effect. That's perfectly acceptable nowdays. It can make an se mi-pro sound like they have master control and placement. But anyone who uses the plug-in would recognize it anywhere.

I recognized on AOL Sessions with Motley Crue before they started touring. I can't remember which song it was , maybe Girls Girls Girls. At the end of the song Vince Neil starts yelling out vocal runs and you can hear the Autotune move incorrectly across the scale. That is due to VERY poor singing. Of course he's well known for hitting sour notes. ;)

• Members

'Rio' was a decent song, but aside from that I could never get into DuranDuran. I liked them a lot better with Robert Palmer in PowerStation.

And I don't see LeBon's appeal. Not a great singer, and I really wouldn't want to see that face staring back at me in the mirror. Of course, I'm not a prepubescent girl.....

• Members

Not to derail the topic too much, but I have been geting a ton of requests for Rascal Flatts, so I decided to check them out. It's my opinion that there isn't a single vocalized note that hasn't been corrected. And the fact that it's so obvious makes me want to find the engineer and lock him outof the studio. If Duranx2 is using it, it's obviously more subtle, so keep going! That's what effects are supposed to be, right?

• Members

Originally posted by Murphman

Not to derail the topic too much, but I have been geting a ton of requests for Rascal Flatts, so I decided to check them out. It's my opinion that there isn't a single vocalized note that hasn't been corrected. And the fact that it's so obvious makes me want to find the engineer and lock him outof the studio. If Duranx2 is using it, it's obviously more subtle, so keep going! That's what effects are supposed to be, right?

funny you mention them because I find the recorded tunes of theirs sound really processed to me... BUT

However,

I saw them sitting around a piano on this one show and they were harmonizing together and it was total magic, perfection.... :confused: I think with harmonies atleast, there's a chemistry (or there isn't)

• Members

"I saw them sitting around a piano on this one show and they were harmonizing together and it was total magic, perfection...."

I know what you mean; sometimes it's hard to tell when AT is being used, but over time overt use of processing may be more apparent to the listening public. One current album I'd recommend is Beirut's Gulag Orkestar. It's really obvious that they used minimal effects, if any, on the vocals. The performances are real -- oh, and the songs are good too.

I've always thought that Duran Duran had top-notch vocals (especially as a prepubescent lad ready to impress the cutest girl in class).

o/t Right now my voice teacher is making me re-create Beach Boys harmonies; boy is that tough! I have the thing slowed down in Ableton Live and am amazed at how tight they were. Of course I can hear some of their "imperfections" if you want to call it that (scooping, timing issues and all that) but that's after I've listened to it zillions of times. :)

• Members

I have seen a few live shows on VH1 over the last two years, where simon was definitely not using auto tune. And it reminded me of seeing them live when i was younger.

Simon alway seems to suck for the first two songs.... not really bad, but usually a couple noticable flat notes. Last time they were on VH1 one of the songs was notorious, and it actually sounded better than the album.

I'm a big duran duran fan, and i can tell you that he has just become a much better singer than he used to be. the newer album however is pretty much crap, and just feels like they are holding back a bit.

I kind of wish andy taylor had not come back... i have the feeling that he hadnt touched the guitar in over a decade.