Best string gauge for Floyd Rose

sambora82

• Members

there is no such thing as "best" strings for floyd rose. string em w/ whats comfortable. just like stop tails or other kinds of vibrato bars

Actually, there IS.

Genuine Floyd Rose floating trems were designed to use 9 - 42 strings.

Other gauges can be used, but for the best performance, stability, intonation, and reliability, 9 -42 is the recommended string gauge.

:thu:

• Members

Actually, there IS.

Genuine Floyd Rose floating trems were designed to use 9 - 42 strings.

Other gauges can be used, but for the best performance, stability, intonation, and reliability, 9 -42 is the recommended string gauge.

Show me anywhere in documentation that Floyd Rose has ever said this. Even vintage ads and instructions from the first trems never list a "recommended string guage". Their main user, EVH, used lighter string(9-38 or something).

Based on your lack of knowledge of the single locking Floyd II from that other thread, you might want to do some research:

http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts6.htm

• Members

Hi guys,

I'm currently using an Ibanez Zero point tremolo. With ernie ball 'not even slinky' 12's on it. I tune to C F A# D# G C. Should i be using a different gauge? Also the G (D#) string sounds like its not vibrating freely and its touching something. I've looked at the nut and had a look at the frets - they seem fine. The sound where its touching seems to be coming from the saddle in the trem. Is there anyway I could fix that or are there any sites that teach me how to setup my tremolo properly?

Thanks

• Members

Show me anywhere in documentation that Floyd Rose has ever said this. Even vintage ads and instructions from the first trems never list a "recommended string guage". Their main user, EVH, used lighter string(9-38 or something).

Based on your lack of knowledge of the single locking Floyd II from that other thread, you might want to do some research:

http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts6.htm

Do your research (I did) ... they were designed to be used with 9 -42s.

Plain and simple fact.

Many people have used many different gauges, but that does not alter the fact that they were designed specifically for 9 -42.

• Members

Hi guys,

I'm currently using an Ibanez Zero point tremolo. With ernie ball 'not even slinky' 12's on it. I tune to C F A# D# G C. Should i be using a different gauge? Also the G (D#) string sounds like its not vibrating freely and its touching something. I've looked at the nut and had a look at the frets - they seem fine. The sound where its touching seems to be coming from the saddle in the trem. Is there anyway I could fix that or are there any sites that teach me how to setup my tremolo properly?

Thanks

A non-slinky set of .012's down tuned to C(3 half steps down). And your G string is a wound .018 or .020?

I would think that your G string saddle's height could be raised to accomodate that fat G string.

I also suspect that the heavier gauge is chewing up your saddles at a bit more accelerated rate.

I imagine the string tension isn't so bad since you're down tuned so much but all those fat strings on a skinny Ibanez neck which are mainly designed for .009's or .010's, is a bit out of place. I think this is what I might call a design conflict with your choice of string gauge.

Maybe what you need is a baritone guitar with fatter frets and a longer neck scale but, try raising the saddle height and, maybe at this time, your g string saddle could be a bit worn out and need replacing. When I play lead, I think my G string works the hardest because I bend it the most. That has got to chew up the saddle. Have a closer look at it.

• Members

Do your research (I did) ... they were designed to be used with 9 -42s.

Plain and simple fact.

Many people have used many different gauges, but that does not alter the fact that they were designed specifically for 9 -42.

Again, post one piece of documentation backing that up. The original manual is in that link, not one word about string gauge. I think you're full of it. Even reading through all the Patents on file delivers no "recommended string gauge", or that one was ever considered in the design. I'll beleive you if you can supply some type of evidence to back that up, but to say that 9-42s are the "strings the Floyd Rose was designed for" reeks of guitar shop BS.

• Members

I've got a Floyded Warmoth Strat with 10-46 and two Peavey Wolfgangs with 9-42s. Both work great, hold their tune perfectly, and intonation is fine on all of them.

I do prefer the easier trem tension on the 9-42s with two springs compared to the 10-46 with 3 springs, but that's neither here nor there. They both work great.

• Members

A non-slinky set of .012's down tuned to C(3 half steps down). And your G string is a wound .018 or .020?

I would think that your G string saddle's height could be raised to accomodate that fat G string.

I also suspect that the heavier gauge is chewing up your saddles at a bit more accelerated rate.

I imagine the string tension isn't so bad since you're down tuned so much but all those fat strings on a skinny Ibanez neck which are mainly designed for .009's or .010's, is a bit out of place. I think this is what I might call a design conflict with your choice of string gauge.

Maybe what you need is a baritone guitar with fatter frets and a longer neck scale but, try raising the saddle height and, maybe at this time, your g string saddle could be a bit worn out and need replacing. When I play lead, I think my G string works the hardest because I bend it the most. That has got to chew up the saddle. Have a closer look at it.

I'm currently using an Ibanez s620 - Neck scale is 25'5 which i was assured by a friend that it could take .12's. I wouldn't mind changing to .11's but the 12's sound more fatter and clearer for that tuning. IM not sure how to raise the saddle on the ZR trem. My G is an un wound .24

Any more help guys?

• Members

Again, post one piece of documentation backing that up. The original manual is in that link, not one word about string gauge. I think you're full of it. Even reading through all the Patents on file delivers no "recommended string gauge", or that one was ever considered in the design. I'll beleive you if you can supply some type of evidence to back that up, but to say that 9-42s are the "strings the Floyd Rose was designed for" reeks of guitar shop BS.

Do your research buddy :lol:

(Just a hint ... research is not limited to the internet) :rolleyes:

• Members

Do your research buddy
:lol:

(Just a hint ... research is not limited to the internet)
:rolleyes:

You're the one making crazy claims, the burden of proof falls to you. I could say I read that you're supposed to use the bar with it aimed at the strap button, but without evidence, it's BS. The fact is his design patent says nothing about string gauge, and that to me proves you wrong.

I'm through with this, you just keep repeating yourself, and wasting my time.

• Members

I like the easy bends on the higher strings, but the chunk of a .46 on the low strings.

So does anyone make these sets ?

I looked on D'Addario and they don't.

Are you kidding me:confused: I think just about every string manufacturer makes a set of 9-46 gauge strings, including D'Addario.

BTW, I use Snake Oil Brand 9-42's on my one Floyded guitar.

367230.jpg

• Members

I think that strat scale guitars work best with 10-46 in general, but a floyd rose works better with 9-42. The action of the bar is lighter. That said, the tone isn't there and I break them like crazy, so I use 10s. I think that 9s tend to create the need for a dirtier tone from the amp/effects to compensate for less tone from the strings.

• Members

I found that with 9's the higher strings were more sucseptable to breaking.

I've heard a few people say that floyds are suppsoed to be sued with 9-42 fror thier best tuning stabillity yet I use my schaller floyds on my rans with 10-46 and 10-52 with the 52's tuned to Eb...

I've never actually seen anyone prove that Floyd's need 9-42's, so untill someone prove's thsi with decent solid evidence then i'll take it as typcial guitar hearsay...

I think if it's not in the patent or manual then it's unlikely to be anything more than bullshit...