Sign in to follow this  
johnny esp

taxi A&R, is it a scam?

Thanks to all of you for posting realistic posts on this thread. That's refreshing! And thanks for reading this!!

Warm regards,

Michael

Thanks for stopping by. Sort of slow around this forum though ; musicians seem to think they don't need to pay attention to the buisness aspects of things . too bad................I'll just make music and then pow "then a miracle happens" ..... then you're a star!!!

I'm glad you re-affirmed that taxi could'nt make me a star for $300 !!!:facepalm:

:thu:

Thanks Richard
:)
Yep, I'm representing TAXI here because it's the topic at hand, but I
will
try to chime in on music business topics whenever possible. I'm also an old wires and mics kind of guy, so I can chime in there too.

If I can go back to TAXI for a second on this thread.... one of the biggest misconceptions people have is that you need professionally recorded, 24 track, mega-studio tracks to pitch for film and TV placements through TAXI.

As you saw if you clicked that link to our
Success Stories forum
, thousands of our members have made film and TV licensing deals and had placements pitching music they recorded in home studios. Here's a
blog on the Broadcast Quality
issue that I posted a little while ago. I got hundreds of emails from people telling me they had no idea that they were sitting on songs and instrumentals that were absolutely viable for placing in TV shows and films.

I hope it helps more readers get a fresh perspective on where they stand and the potential they have.

Enjoy,

Michael

Michael,

Thank you for stopping in and sharing with the group...;)

Your presence here is perfect for our type of discussions, as well as in the 21st Century forum...

Please, by all means don't be a stranger.:cool:

(oh, yeah, I'm the Moderator here, so this is an 'official' welcome!):wave:

Michael,

Thank you for stopping in and sharing with the group...
;)
Your presence here is perfect for our type of discussions, as well as in the 21st Century forum...

Please, by all means don't be a stranger.
:cool:

(oh, yeah, I'm the Moderator here, so this is an 'official' welcome!)
:wave:

Thanks for the official welcome... much appreciated. I've typically worked 15-18 days, at least 6 days a week since starting TAXI nearly 18 years ago, so I rarely get time to get involved in forums, even our own! Sad.... I really enjoy fruitful discussions where people really want to share and learn.

I promise to try to stop in here whenever time allows. It feels like this a pretty level-headed group :)

I've always been reluctant to do hit and runs in forums where people have less than kind things to say about TAXI, so I've just left them alone. But I live in a constant state of frustration that SO much TRUE information is out there as to the success our members are having, but nobody ever links to it.

We post it on our site, it's all over our own forum, yet it's mostly the sour grapes who post elsewhere. I've also noticed that our successful members spend somewhat less time on forums, and when they do, they seem afraid to speak too positively about TAXI, as they are likely to get into a flame war.

I WILL say that when people do give facts and post positive experiences, I appreciate it a great deal.

Any sage advice on how to get the word out, short of hitting every forum on the net and posting links to our member generated success stories?

I'm all ears, and again, thanks for the warm welcome. I will try to contribute stuff that's not all TAXI related:D

Warm regards,

Michael

ok. I'm just a car salesman in Anchorage who more or less writes/records songs in my spare bedroom. I used to write a lot, after a 12 year break (I thought my music days were done), though never quit my day job.. OK back to the point...I used to use a tascam 424 cassette to record. I actually had decent sounding songs with that one. Well, speed forward 12 years, got a jones to write and record again. So I bought a tascam dp02 dig 8 trk. I play all the instruments (and a drum machine, sorry but it's a great tool) and sing- though not a great singer. With that said, I think I'm putting out some great sounding recordings. Since I was rebuying things long sold I used the built-in effects, etc..... And until recently, no real high-dollar instruments (squier strat- 23 years old, japan)- I actually love this guitar and never will we part. But with what I have, I think it all sounds great. It floored me to see what 500 bux buys now for a recorder compared to the 90s. And I'm singing with an SM58.

Still a hobby, but I'm rethinking a little. I post to myspace, and I don't have a following, etc.. but I think I'm getting a lot of plays- 14,000+ in about 6 months. So I dunno what to do...is that significant? So I found this board while deciding to peddle my songs.

Anyway, more like my 20 cents worth...lol. The point is I think industry expects great recordings because the technology is cheap enough to create it. (ok this isn't a shameless plug...promise), check it out on my page, tell me if you think most of the songs (7) are good enough to peddle to the pros (the sound quality, not my singing!)..

thanx guys

Bill

www.myspace.com/alascar11 (it's public)

again, no plugs here, and only effects are of the built-in varitey with the recorder. Since then I actually have better stuff and software. "All those little things" has my new guitar- a taylor. other stuff is a $150 ibanez. So IMHO I think you can do a pro demo on the cheap-ish.

I don't know if it's in the same vein as what you guys are talking about, but either way I just wanted to have this posted.

ASCAP and Pump Audio are two organizations that do that type of thing right? I read another forum where one of the electronica composers got his song on Heroes (the tv show), but without knowing it, because "ASCAP and Pump Audio are on the slow side". Basically the guy has his music distribution handled by those sites and gets paid when his music is used somewhere.

Here's a helpful quote:

"Here's how it works. Antigravity is licensed to a music library/publisher, Pump Audio, who basically makes it available to anyone who is interested. They also shop it around a bit directly. Once someone selects a song from it, they pay an upfront fee (for a "synchronization license") which is split 50/50 with me. I get my checks from Pump twice a year, along with a statement about who bought what. Otherwise, they don't contact me at all. Thus, I could have 1000 placements this month and I wouldn't hear about any of them until about 3 months from now when the check comes in. Sometimes, it takes even longer... for example, my music was used on some UK TV show DVD release which came out in April, but I wasn't officially notified until December of that year.

The other channel of revenue is ASCAP, the performing rights organization of which I am a member. Basically, anytime ANYTHING is broadcast on TV, the producers of each show or ad are supposed to report what music they use to the appropriate PRO. So, the people behind Heroes would tell ASCAP, "Hey, we used this song 'Warhead' for about 45 seconds on NBC at 9pm." This would happen for any subsequent broadcasts as well. ASCAP then uses some complex formula to determine a royalty for EACH broadcast, which is billed to the Heroes guys. Then, about four times a year, they would pay out those royalties to myself and Pump (another 50/50 split)."

I thought that this is an interesting deal if you have commercial music.

Pump Audio has changed the 50/50 licensing fee split to 65/35 this year (in favor of Pump). However you still receive 100% of the PRO writer's royalties and 50% of the PRO publisher's royalty. Not that bad of a deal.

Make sure Pump/Getty Images register your tracks with your PRO.

Their reviewing process is very, very slow. Figure on waiting a year before your tracks are accepted and in their library.

John :)

Michael,

Thank you for stopping in and sharing with the group...
;)

Please, by all means don't be a stranger.
:cool:

(oh, yeah, I'm the Moderator here, so this is an 'official' welcome!)
:wave:

it's good to see members of TAXI stopping by here and sharing.

TAXI has been something we've considered, but the $300 price tag has been hard to justify (for us, at least). it's something i'll bring up to the band again and discuss it again.

-PJ

Don't use Taxi!!!! Seriously don't waste your money with this joke of a company.  I was a Taxi member for 15 years, had probably over 100 forwards and never got a single placement. I eventually just started doing the ground work myself and I have many many tracks signed with several libraries which led to placements and making money.  I also had really bad experiences with their staff.  Anytime I contacted support they were rude and demeaning.  You'd think they would make you feel like a part of the team after spending thousands of dollars on them but every single encounter was negative.  Don't even think about expressing your honest opinion in their forums either.  The staff (including Michael) will completely jump down your throat. I even witnessed him completely tear a member apart on a YouTube video for talking about his music in the chat stream.   Nothing but horrible experiences.  Seriously don't waste your time and money with that company.