Indiana guitars - yay or nay?

blueshawk1

• Members

Not bad with some work. I would compare them to the SX guitars

I may be totally wrong, but the Indianas may be the SAME as the SX - at least the same factory. It seems that the LP copies = the SX "GG" versions = the Brownsville "GG" versions...

• Members

I was looking at a strat copy, white with a maple board. If they are on par with an SX, I wouldn't have a problem with that, I have a couple SXs and I like them. I would buy an SX one, but they don't have one in the a regular white, just the vintage white which is really kind of an off-white, and I don't care for the vintage dark tone of the neck, where as the Indiana has the more clear neck. And of course the white Squiers have a stupid rosewood fretboard.........

• Members

^^^ I thought you were going to shoot for a used arctic white MIM with maple board? :confused:

Don't forget about those new Squiers coming out...

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0300500523

EDIT: BluesHawk, here's the Tele you've been looking for. I also want one just like this so it'll match my Strat. ;)

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=093261282

• Members

^^^ I thought you were going to shoot for a used arctic white MIM with maple board?
:confused:

Don't forget about those new Squiers coming out...

EDIT: BluesHawk, here's the Tele you've been looking for. I also want one just like this so it'll match my Strat.
;)

Yeah, that's what I've been wanting, the artic white strat. Kind of getting tired of looking for a deal on one though.

Since I already have a really nice mim strat, I was thinking a cheap copy my satisy my unreasonable gas for a white strat with a maple board, but I have a feeling it won't.

I saw that tele, I went hunting on that site when I got home from my disappointing "tour" of some shops today. Actually though, in the tele, the one I saw and liked was more of a cream color with a white pg (and a maple board of course). But that's down the road unless I trip over a deal and then I'll sell the wine one I have already.

• Members

I played one that was new, felt cheap, and looked kinda cheap. I am done buying cheap stuff from China, would rather have a used MIM Fender.

Yeah, I think that's kind of what kept me from pulling the trigger already on the Indiana. I don't have anything against cheaper guitars, I've certainly bought enough of them, and have been happy with what I've bought, guess I'm reaching a point where I've been trying to thin the herd and it's been the cheaper ones, and if I add anything else, I'd rather it be something a little better. Now that sounds as if I'm saying the cheaper guitars aren't as good, but I know from personal experience, many of them are as good or damn near it, so I don't know why I'm still prefering to find an MIM Fender - maybe I'm getting the "headstock groupie disease".

• Members

Yeah, that's what I've been wanting, the artic white strat. Kind of getting tired of looking for a deal on one though.

Since I already have a really nice mim strat, I was thinking a cheap copy my satisy my unreasonable gas for a white strat with a maple board, but I have a feeling it won't.

You've been doing such a good job of parring down the herd though. I think you can hold out for the "right" deal on an '06 or '07 (upgraded) MIM Strat. Don't settle. If you end up getting an Indiana Strat or whatever, you're just going to have another one to sell off down the road. You'll also have $100 tied up in something you'll probably get bored with quickly.

I don't want to change the topic here but you may also want to look into the Agile ST-1000. They have maple fretboards and are available in the trans vintage white (Mary Kaye finish) and a more solid vintage white. It really is a better guitar for the money than an MIM Standard. Even if they were both $300 it's still a better guitar.

I saw that tele, I went hunting on that site when I got home from my disappointing "tour" of some shops today. Actually though, in the tele, the one I saw and liked was more of a cream color with a white pg (and a maple board of course). But that's down the road unless I trip over a deal and then I'll sell the wine one I have already.

Perhaps the difference is the lighting. Crappy fluorescent lights and overexposure can ruin a picture. Give them a call and ask what year it is, what the serial it is and what color it's supposed to be. I mean, look at how bright that maple fretboard is. You can't go by that horrible picture. I'd bet dollars for donuts that it's arctic white. Hell, I may call them myself. :)

EDIT: Just read the description and it IS an arctic white ... "medium weight....malpe neck...olimpic white....plays and sounds great..this is..." I'm going to call them. If they'll ship it for free I'll probably bite.

093261282_lg.jpg

• Members

Don't settle. If you end up getting an Indiana Strat or whatever, you're just going to have another one to sell off down the road. You'll also have $100 tied up in something you'll probably get bored with quickly.

Yes, I've decided you're right. It's the MIM I've been wanting, the only guitar I've really had any GAS for, even after going to a number of shops today, I saw a lot that interested me, but not enough to buy them.

If I bought anything else, I know I'd still be wanting that one.

I don't want to change the topic here but you may also want to look into the Agile ST-1000. They have maple fretboards and are available in the trans vintage white (Mary Kaye finish) and a more solid vintage white. It really is a better guitar for the money than an MIM Standard. Even if they were both $300 it's still a better guitar.

I did look at those. As far as the specs go, it does look like a better guitar, locking tuners and a Wilkinson bridge - not that I care about the whammy aspect since I don't use it, but I know that brand is a quality bridge.

I also noticed the nut is black, nothing mentioned in the specs, but makes me wonder if it isn't a graphite nut.

But then there's the color. That vintage white looks kind of off-white, at least in Rondos pics - I REALLY like the bright white-white of the artic white.

EDIT:
Just read the description and it IS an arctic white ... "medium weight....malpe neck...olimpic white....plays and sounds great..this is..." I'm going to call them. If they'll ship it for free I'll probably bite.

I saw a couple of those today, they do look nice in the artic white, but in the tele, I like the cream color.

I'll be curious to know what they do for you on the shipping, and if they'll charge you tax on the purchase since it's coming from a store.

Archived