How to get Les Paul sound from superstrat?

sahlomonic

• Members

Conversely, you might like the Clapton Signature Strat with the 25db midboost. Run through a 57 Twin RI, it did a pretty good job of recreating EC's 60s Gibson-into-Marshall tones at the Cream reunion shows.

• Members

Do you use the trem? I find that blocking it and taking the springs out of the back make a strat slightly more "solid" sounding.

As far as PU's go, I've heard both Duncan Customs and JBs sound great in (dfferent) strats

• Members

You can get a lot of the way there, but you'll never get the true LP sound as it is a result of the scale length (most superstrats are fender scale length) as well as the lack of mass compared to a LP and general differences in materials and construction.

Closest I've come across is a mahogany bodied s540.

• Members

Difference between the '59 and a JB?

I have the Lil'59 in one of my Strats.

The output on the Lil'59 is 11k, whereas the JB is 16k, which is abit hotter. The '59 has a more even tone, in my opinion - warm and great clarity, but with not quite as much top end sizzle as a JB. Both are excellent, especially as a combo for bridge(JB)/neck('59).

If you wanna get closer to the sound of Les Paul, you're gonna wanna go with a mahogany body on your strat-type axe, instead of the usual alder. A hard tail instead of a trem will help too...

• Members

Conversely, you might like the Clapton Signature Strat with the 25db midboost. Run through a 57 Twin RI, it did a pretty good job of recreating EC's 60s Gibson-into-Marshall tones at the Cream reunion shows.

This will do it. I owned one for some time. I didn't sell it because of Tone. I sold it because I couldn't get use to the neck combined with Vin. frets.

Another one that will work is a Doulbe Fat Strat loaded with Duncans. There's a KILLER Custom Shop version for-sale by me at GC for $1900.

Has a very nice figured neck on it.

mar13_01.jpg

Archived