Sign in to follow this  
HanSolo

What's it worth ... Aria Acoustic??

Ok, I know it's no Martin or Guild so the first response is going to be not much, but I have this beautiful old (purchased new in 1966) Aria Acoustic. It's an old friend that plays better than the Ovation Pinnacle I had for a while and sounds OK. Believe it or not it has a heel-less bolt-on neck. Any idea what it's worth? Not looking for offers, just curious. Hard to put a price on an old friend, I know.

<Apict0137er9.th.jpg><Apict0147yz3.th.jpg><Apict0142rv1.th.jpg>

<Apict0138te1.th.jpg><Apict0140yw9.th.jpg><Apict0145ji0.th.jpg>

If you could get half that you are doing well.Looks like Arai probably made the MIJ Epiphones with similar features.

I have an old Aria and I think they are great.

What you have is now nicely aged. I don'y know what it's worth, but it probably sounds as good as any high dollar acoustic.

i've got an old aria hummingbird copy that i've tried to find the value of---great copy, accurate pickguard, inlays and open book headstock---anyone have an idea?

Just curious....Is the bolt on neck more of an electric or acoustic size?

Very electric-ish. Why I bought it.

I've always been big on vintage Aria guitars. The guy who started the company in 1959 (Shiro Arai) was a world-class classical guitarist who personally inspected nearly all the acoustic, electric and classical guitars made throughout the 60's and into the mid 70's. I have a 1973 Aria SG copy with a natural finish that's superb in every way, I'll never sell it. It has the total vibe of a vintage Gibby and plays like butter.

Your guitar, in my opinion, is priceless. Sure, you could put it on EvilBay and probably get $300 to $400 for it, but you'd spend the rest of your life regretting it. I have an old 1977 Yamaha FG-335II that I bought new in '77 and it's an incredible guitar that just sounds better and better as the wood continues to age. Keep what you got and appreciate it... it's a treasure! :thu:

I've always been big on vintage Aria guitars. The guy who started the company in 1959 (Shiro Arai) was a world-class classical guitarist who personally inspected nearly all the acoustic, electric and classical guitars made throughout the 60's and into the mid 70's. I have a 1973 Aria SG copy with a natural finish that's superb in every way, I'll never sell it. It has the total vibe of a vintage Gibby and plays like butter.

Your guitar, in my opinion, is priceless. Sure, you could put it on EvilBay and probably get $300 to $400 for it, but you'd spend the rest of your life regretting it. I have an old 1977 Yamaha FG-335II that I bought new in '77 and it's an incredible guitar that just sounds better and better as the wood continues to age. Keep what you got and appreciate it... it's a treasure!
:thu:

+1 :thu:

Probably, but what condition is it in? Is there a HSC or a gig bag? Have you played it?

Point being, it really doesn't matter what we think, since we aren't the ones buying the guitar. It's likely worth a c-note, but without seeing it? Who could make that call?

If you have played it and you like it, and have compared it to other guitars in that price range, and you still like it, then buy it, but if you have not compared it to anything else, well, then caveat emptor.

Hi I'm new at this, I have an Aria dg20 resonator and trying to find out more about this guitar it plays beautifully with a slide

2 hours ago, Guy watson said:

Hi I'm new at this, I have an Aria dg20 resonator and trying to find out more about this guitar it plays beautifully with a slide

Welcome to Harmony Central! :welcome:

Can you give us any more information about your Aria? Do you know how old it is by any chance? Do you have any pictures of your instrument? It's next to impossible for anyone to give you even a rough estimate of its value without knowing more about it, as well as what condition it's in. 

Also, you may want to try checking on Reverb.com as well as on Ebay for similar instruments to see if any are for sale (and for how much) as well as check the completed auctions to see what they may have sold for in the past. That can help give you an idea of their going prices in the "real world."

well, that was interesting...I never knew Aria even made resonators...apparently they were not marketed in the US.

I found this...So if it is in immaculate condition*, it might be worth ~€550 which is about $600...

Aria has had a fairly shaky history as far as serial numbers, but usually [NOT always...] the first 2 digits of the S/N are the year of manufacture...

*the thing with bell brass resonator guitars is they do not 'age', like wooden guitars, and will sound the same 100 years from now...so when considering the value, it is all about the condition of the metal, the finish...and the neck, which is wood, but has pretty much zero influence on the sound of a metal body reso...