NGD: Agile Valkyrie double-neck... first impressions...

YogurtKing

• Members

First, let me say that Kurt at Rondo Music offers excellent service, and my shipment arrived 3 days ahead of schedule! :thu: In fact, I paid for UPS shipping, which is highway robbery on shipments to Canada - to my delight, I find that Kurt had shipped it using FedEx and saved me a shitload of brokerage fees!!

RONDO MUSIC IS AN EXCELLENT MUSIC STORE! :cool::D:cool::D

Now, about the guitar... I'll post pictures etc maybe tomorrow. It's late and I'm getting sleepy.

The quality of the guitar by far exceeds all expectations. The action, finish, wood, etc. are all first rate. The thing looks and plays wonderfully. The neck shape is *SPOT ON* Gibson in my opinion, at least compared to my old ES-335, and that was a terrific surprise.

The weak link seems to be the pickups, but it may just be the way I've EQ-ed my amp. Remember - this is my FIRST IMPRESSION. The tone from the pickups seems a little dark, but I can tell it's most likely a setup issue, because when I set the pickup selector in the mid-position, I get a delicious chime.

The guitar is comfortable to wear in my opinion. Sure, it's heavy, but not nearly as heavy as I was expecting. The tone of the guitar itself is rich and woody from what I can tell, but it's obviously not exotic tonewood.

Seems like a terrific, straight-forward workhorse double-neck - what more could you ask for? I'm really pleased iwth my purchase so far.

• Members

Aren't the brokerage fee and duties included in the shipping charge, whether it was UPS or Fedex?

Actually... They can both be pretty bad. I was recently charged $80 brokerage fees for a pedal by FedEx. I didn't pay it, since they couldn't explain to me how they could legally hold it hostage for more money.

• Members

I adjusted the pickup height and played for four hours this morning... HOLY SHIT, this thing is absolutely beautiful. If any of you are considering getting a double neck guitar - DO IT. It will change your life. Every guitar should have two necks.

The sustain on this machine is unbelievable. The bridge is just perfect for me. Quite frankly, there is nothing I don't like about my guitar.

The one weak point I guess is the pickups - they don't have that top-end sparkle that you find in like... boutique pickups. But the tone is perfectly well balanced and has a nice classic flavor, not too strong not too weak. Everything you could ever want in stock pickups.

A couple of pics:

my.php?image=cimg1051ww1.jpg

^Note at the bottom of the pic, you can actually see my reflection in the guitar. This guitar is so beautiful I'm shocked. The wood grain is just unbelieveable.

my.php?image=cimg1053zw6.jpg

• Members

OK, this is gonna sound strange, but I would consider buying that guitar (yeah, me, the old geeky cork sniffing geezer rocking asshat).

Why? Because the Epi version is made from the wrong materials and the Gibson version is way too much for a novelty instrument.

So call me crazy, but I'm starting to GAS for that thing. Nice.

Do you get sympathetic ringing from the unused neck if you keep it active?

• Members

Do you get sympathetic ringing from the unused neck if you keep it active?

A little bit, but it doesn't really sound like you think it would.

The cool thing is when you turn one neck on and leave the other neck off... Then you start playing the OFF neck, you get this creepy, swelling resonances from the neck that's on. It's a cool sound.

I've been wanting to get an electric 12-string for a long time.. I had no idea it would be as fun as it is. A lot of my existing songs coincidentally work out really well on a 12-string.

• Members

Actually... They can both be pretty bad. I was recently charged $80 brokerage fees for a pedal by FedEx. I didn't pay it, since they couldn't explain to me how they could legally hold it hostage for more money.

I emailed Kurt about 2 months ago and he said that the brokerage fees are included in the shipping charge to Canada. Maybe a lower brokerage fee is charged if people pay before the courier ships the item...??

• Members

Why? Because the Epi version is made from the wrong materials and the Gibson version is way too much for a novelty instrument.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by wrong materials?

I played an Epi one at a store once that had bolt on necks and it was garbage. They're set necks now aren't they?

Is the agile bolt-neck or set neck?

Archived