Decisions Desicions.

mrbrown49

• Members

I was in GC last and I found a new MIA strat for just under $700. It sounded and played great, but I also played an MIM tele that played just as nicely for $500. The MIM strats played great too.

Is it worth the extra money to for the MIA, or should I save myself a bit of money and spring for the MIA?

• Members

Well im sure the MIA will be worth more in the long run, if thats a factor.

However, i have seen VERY fine MIM, instruments that, if you didnt look at the back of the headstock, you wouldnt be able to tell. Two hundred bucks is quite a jump.

Id go with the MIM if it played well. Plus tele's are bitchin'.

• Members

Well im sure the MIA will be worth more in the long run, if thats a factor.

However, i have seen VERY fine MIM, instruments that, if you didnt look at the back of the headstock, you wouldnt be able to tell. Two hundred bucks is quite a jump.

Id go with the MIM if it played well. Plus tele's are bitchin'.

Thanks for the replys guys. I would have walked out the door with the strat but the sales guy made it very clear that the strat was on clearance and couldn't be returned if I didn't like it. It sounded great through the amp I used in the store, but its not my amp, and its not in my room, so that made me a bit cautious. The fret work was about the same and the materials seemed about the same on the MIM and MIAs, but I think the MIAs were slightly better.

No returns, blah.

• Members

Aren't MIM teles more like $400? If you see one for $500, it's overpriced, unless its a special model.

They are normally $399 but some Guitar Centers that have to many of a certain color will put them out for $250. Plus you can always haggle.

• Members

Thats not always true! Look at the electronics on the MIM Classic Player 60 and 50?

I played those as well, and I didn't like the necks as much.

Today I played a few MIM teles that felt great, but I think I will hold off on a tele till after my long search for the right strat comes to an end.

The MIA was going for 670 including the hard shell case. Perhaps am an idiot for not snatching it up right away.

• Moderators

teles and strats...similar yet soooo different. me thinks you should focus one one, then the other.....kinda confusing contemplating both at the same time, if ya know what I mean.

Oh yes, A Strat is like buying a full, quality toolbox that'll do anything you want for the rest of your breathing life. A Tele on the other hand is a whim, albeit a good one, and should occupy you further down the road, think of it as a handy sized toolbox, where the Strat is a big roller Snap On set

Just buy the Strat, probably the best guitar you can get for 700 of your poorly valued dollaroubles:wave:

• Members

Thanks for the input guys. I know considering teles and strats at the same time is a great way to confuse myself, but gas is a mysterious and viscous ailment at times. I did find that I could get some tele-ish tones out of the strat, and the tech there gave a tip that wiring it to run bridge and neck pups at the same time would get pretty close to a tele sound.

I just hope that the strat is still there when lunch time rolls around. tick tock....

• Members

I like the MIA's over the Mexicans. Though the Mexicans a great for their price.

Talk to Jimm at our GC if you can. I won't buy stuff there typically, but I like him and tell him Brian Mason said hi ;)

I have a switch to turn on my bridge pickup at anytime. While the bridge/neck combo can give you that Tele dual pickup vibe, you gotta remember that Strat and tele pickups sound completely different. It will ever be the same. not worse, just different.

I can hook ya up on setup and switch if you wish.

• Members
I like the MIA's over the Mexicans. Though the Mexicans a great for their price.

Talk to Jimm at our GC if you can. I won't buy stuff there typically, but I like him and tell him Brian Mason said hi
;)

I have a switch to turn on my bridge pickup at anytime. While the bridge/neck combo can give you that Tele dual pickup vibe, you gotta remember that Strat and tele pickups sound completely different. It will ever be the same. not worse, just different.

I can hook ya up on setup and switch if you wish.

I might take you up on that. I don't like shopping there either, but there aren't many options these days. I stopped at sound source and a couple other places first before biting the bullet and going there.

Any opinions on the Highway ones? The ones they had at GC were used and had terrible setups so i really couldn't tell how they played. The pups were also full of what looked like steel wool shavings, so I steered clear.

• Members
I might take you up on that. I don't like shopping there either, but there aren't many options these days. I stopped at sound source and a couple other places first before biting the bullet and going there.

Any opinions on the Highway ones? The ones they had at GC were used and had terrible setups so i really couldn't tell how they played. The pups were also full of what looked like steel wool shavings, so I steered clear.

I love my Highway One Strat, but it doesn't get the attention my American Standard gets, because that is my number one. I didn't like the bridge pickup on the H1 either.

I only buy equipment at the HOG. For one, they hook me up. Secondly, they are only a couple blocks from me, and thirdly, I used to jam with Curt, so he always drops what he is doing for me. I like that ;)

• Members
...I know considering teles and strats at the same time is a great way to confuse myself, but gas is a mysterious and viscous ailment at times......

You know it! Last week I bought one of each.:D Got the tele on thursday and thought about the strat I'd left behind the rest of the night, so went back and got it at lunch on friday.:rolleyes:

• Members
You know it! Last week I bought one of each.
:D
Got the tele on thursday and thought about the strat I'd left behind the rest of the night, so went back and got it at lunch on friday.
:rolleyes:

haha...I think I might end up doing something similar. I found a great MIM sunburst tele that played as well the AS strat.

Archived