Which Pen to Use For a Guitar Autograph??

matt13

• Members

Hi All,

Which is the best marker/pen/sharpie to use to have my guitar autographed. I'm going to Slash's book signing tomorrow and I was wondering which type of marker i need to have him sign my guitar with. My guitar is black, so i need something silver. Which type of marker (brand) will be the most permanent and last the longest on the slick surface of my guitar? Thanks!

- Matt

• Members
I would use any of the silver or gold paint pens. if you are worried about wear and tear, then clearcoat over it.

Exactly what I was going to say. Sharpies are great for autographing pictures and stuff, but the problem with almost all permanent markers is that the ink is dye-based, and fades. If you use a silver paint pen, it will be a pigment based "ink", so you won't have a fading problem. Also, it will be far more likely to be compatable with a protective clearcoat. Clearcoating a standard Sharpie is troublesome at best.

• Members

it has to be hand-made boutique pen to work right.
:D

but really, i would suggest getting him to sign a pickguard, and then put that on the guitar of your choice, and if you wind up selling an autographed guitar, you can choose which one you want to sell
:cool:

I couldn't agre more! I don't get why people have guys sign the acutal guitar... cause 9 times out of 10 (unless the guy's super famous), people are more interested in the guitar than the signature. Granted Slash rocks and is definitely famous... but if you want a playing guitar, who cares who signed it. Go for the pick guard signage.

I think Les Paul is the only guy I'd ask to sign the body of the guitar and even then, I'm not sure. Well, maybe I'd let Mickey Mantle sign like SRV did with Lenny...

• Members
I couldn't agre more! I don't get why people have guys sign the acutal guitar... cause 9 times out of 10 (unless the guy's super famous), people are more interested in the guitar than the signature. Granted Slash rocks and is definitely famous... but if you want a playing guitar, who cares who signed it. Go for the pick guard signage.

I think Les Paul is the only guy I'd ask to sign the body of the guitar and even then, I'm not sure.
Well, maybe I'd let Mickey Mantle sign like SRV did with Lenny...

That's gonna be a VERY difficult autograph to get. :(

• 12 years later...
  • Members

Yeah, I know this is a necro thread

But

I would not allow anyone to sign my guitar for any reason ,with two possible exceptions

1 - If I was planning to sell it and thought someone else would pay up

2-  If a famous musician played my guitar I might allow them to sign the back of the headstock if they offered

Other than that there would be no tacky scribble defacing it

4 hours ago, gardo said:

Yeah, I know this is a necro thread

But

I would not allow anyone to sign my guitar for any reason ,with two possible exceptions

1 - If I was planning to sell it and thought someone else would pay up

2-  If a famous musician played my guitar I might allow them to sign the back of the headstock if they offered

Other than that there would be no tacky scribble defacing it

Yeah, I really don't see the appeal in having some famous rock star sign my guitar. I've had plenty of opportunities to have that done, and I've never been tempted in the slightest to ask someone to do it. 

About the only reason I can see for celebrity signings on instruments would be for charity / fundraisers. I can get behind that idea... but owning such a guitar really doesn't appeal to me personally. 

Archived