scratch talking and white noise records

Walters9515

• Members

I seen DJ's while scratching makes the record talk or do vowels

example:

Like when they are moving the record back and forth scratching it , it will say to the crowd of people " how are u feeling to night" "put your hands in the air" because its from scratching the record

How and what special records do this while scratching them please?

Noise records:

I'm also looking for records that don't have audio tracks or vocals but just like white noise or record hiss noise i know the DJ from portishead uses them alot and other DJ's but i don't know what they are called

The records make only a ssssshhhssshh hiss sound but they have different frequencys of sssshhhssh hiss sounds

Its like a blank Vinly record in a way but having different frequency white noises on them

• Members

I seen DJ's while scratching makes the record talk or do vowels

example:

Like when they are moving the record back and forth scratching it , it will say to the crowd of people " how are u feeling to night" "put your hands in the air" because its from scratching the record

How and what special records do this while scratching them please?

Noise records:

I'm also looking for records that don't have audio tracks or vocals but just like white noise or record hiss noise i know the DJ from portishead uses them alot and other DJ's but i don't know what they are called

The records make only a ssssshhhssshh hiss sound but they have different frequencys of sssshhhssh hiss sounds

Its like a blank Vinly record in a way but having different frequency white noises on them

As far as the scratching, I think you're misunderstanding what the DJ is doing. If you're hearing some thing like "how y'all feel out there" then that's a sample directly from the vinyl. You can't scratch a sound and turn it into a sentence. You might be able to manipulate a sound in a way that it resembles a word, but you're not going to be able to scratch out clearly audible phrases regardless of how good you are. What you can do is scratch up each word in a sentence that's already on a record. You can also manually rearrange the words to make new phrases and sentences. But you can't take a sound effect on a record and scratch it in a way that magically turns it into a "how y'all feel out there". Its possible that the DJ is cuing up another record while letting the other record play and you're mistaking his cuing or scratching another sound as scratching to make a sentence.

You can get vocal phrases of lots of different records. Live performances, comedy records, kids records, spoken word records, etc. all have lots of stuff you can use. You can also get "break records" which are records made especially for DJs and those often have phrases and sound effects compiled for you all in one place.

A good source for noise can be the run-off grove of any record. When a record plays to the end the groove goes into a circle and the needle will just play that until you stop it. If you let it play in that run-off groove long enough it will get static and pops and white noise. You can also get test tone records with white noise. Some break records also have white noise and tones too. You've got to get out there and dig to find exactly what you're looking for.

• Members

Thanks alot for the help

What are these test tone records with white noise records called please? what would be the label for them?

When scratching can u make the pitch go up and down like " pitch shift scratching"? how would this be done please?

I like when the record sounds scratched and noises how do i take a brand new record and make it sound old? is there some type of dirt oil for records that u rub into it so it sounds like a old record? or dust oil or something?

I tired putting a dust ball on my needle but it only DISTORTS the needle its not the same as if dust is engaged into the vinly u know what i mean it doesn't distort the needle it superimposes onto a random noisy sound ontop of the stereo wavefile print in the groove of the record

Playing records backwards:

My turntable doesn't turn backwards to "play records backwards" how can i make a turntable turn backwards to the motor is reversed?

What DJ records has NO drums so u can layer the sounds on them? i mostly only find DJ records with the drums and its really hard to layer the sounds ontop of eachother with 2 different drum patterns even if u match them up in tempo the patterns can be really different so u can't layer the sounds like pancakes only can crossfade them into another section if u know what i mean

Do u know what turntable has a Alot of different speeds to go really fast?

i'm trying to get sounds like if im rewinding or fastforwarding a VCR or tape deck like sound effects? how would i be able to get those rewinding , fast-forwarding sounds from a turntable please?

• Members

Do u know what turntable has a Alot of different speeds to go really fast?

i'm trying to get sounds like if im rewinding or fastforwarding a VCR or tape deck like sound effects? how would i be able to get those rewinding , fast-forwarding sounds from a turntable please?

Turn off the motor, manually push the record in forward or reverse at high speeds. Or the Vestax PDX and Numark TTX have +/- 50% pitch.

It sounds like you're just starting. Don't be afraid to experiment and break away from the stuff you're hearing other people do. There's no right or wrong, just have fun and try a lot of different things. Much of the stuff I learned was from trial and error over many years. If you stick too much to what other people tell you to do then you'll end up sounding like everyone else and that's not good.

• Members

Thanks alot Manipulate for your information and time

stabs or chirps and learn those scratches well

Yea stabs and chirps are like shuttering effects?

chirps rules:

1.) start with the Crossfaders in the middle

2.) Push record away

3.) crossfader to the side (which is channel is turned off)

4.) Pull record back

Stabs rules: "shuttering effect"

1.) start with the Crossfader to the channel that is turned off

2.) Push record away

3.) move crossfader to the other channel opposite side

4.) pull record back

How do u get different chirp sounds? and different stab sounds?

(using diffferent records with different sounds would give u different chrips sounds and stab sounds?)

The crossfader slopes/curve knobs changes the chirps and stabs sounds?

Hi Guys!

I am not a frequent visitor of this forum but I was intrigued to see "walters" in here.

Just a word of advise: This "walters" character is well known through the net for asking very basic or simply nonsense questions (just like he is doing here) just for the fun of it; however it seems he simply does not care at all what you respond and keeps asking nonsense questions over and over.

Do not waste a lot of your time on your responses and do not take him too seriously. You've been warned. ;)

• Members

Hi Guys!

I am not a frequent visitor of this forum but I was intrigued to see "walters" in here.

Just a word of advise:
This "walters" character is well known through the net for asking very basic or simply nonsense questions (just like he is doing here) just for the fun of it; however it seems he simply does not care at all what you respond and keeps asking nonsense questions over and over.

Do not waste a lot of your time on your responses and do not take him too seriously. You've been warned.
;)

No, its totally cool man, I go around on the internet and give complex answers to simple questions so that Walters has a reason for existing. He's the ying to my yang (ie. he's all up on my yang.)

• Members

Manipulate can u please help me with my stabs and chirps? i need to know the ""theory"" in detail about how stabs and chirps?

Just make sure you drink lots of ocean spray before you get into the stabs. Stab vertically, not horrizontally. Get back at me!

Archived