John Mayer Strat - how thick is the neck?

One-armed Alec

• Members

I've scoured the web, but can't find this info anywhere...

If you happen to own one, can you tell me the neck depth at the 1st and 12th frets (from the back of the neck to the fingerboard)?

If you just happen to have played one, can you comment on how it compares with an Eric Johnson Strat neck?

Many thanks,

Alec.

• Members

I played one Friday night at GC. Keep in mind I'm a novice player, but I REALLY wanted to like it, but all I could keep thinking of was how I liked my American Standard Strat better.

The only difference I could tell in the neck from my standard is the Frets were not as good as mine. Not really sharp I guess, but definately rougher than mine. And for that much money and just getting that goofy "gig" bag, I passed.

You may have a different take or I could have just played a bad one. They didn't have the EJ or EC strat for me to try, but the only one I liked was their Mahogany HSS strat. It was different enough for me to justify another strat, but I passed on it too.

• Members

I played one Friday night at GC. Keep in mind I'm a novice player, but I REALLY wanted to like it, but all I could keep thinking of was how I liked my American Standard Strat better.

The only difference I could tell in the neck from my standard is the Frets were not as good as mine. Not really sharp I guess, but definately rougher than mine. And for that much money and just getting that goofy "gig" bag, I passed.

You may have a different take or I could have just played a bad one. They didn't have the EJ or EC strat for me to try, but the only one I liked was their Mahogany HSS strat. It was different enough for me to justify another strat, but I passed on it too.

Hey - thanks for your reply.

How did the neck depth feel to you, was it significantly deeper than your American Standard's neck?

The reason I pose the question is that I have two Strats - a 2002 American Standard that I've had for four years and an Eric Johnson signature model that I bought very recently. Since playing the EJ, I've really grown to like the larger neck (and the EJ guitar as a whole - what a cracker). Now I would like to replace the rosewood fingerboard neck on my American Standard with a larger rosewood fingerboard neck. The John Mayer neck would seem like an ideal replacement as it is apparently bigger than the Am Standard neck and it has the vintage tuners that I prefer, and a fret size that I like (although I am concerned about your reports of rough frets).

:thu:

• Members

I guess I would say it's a little "chunkier" but not enough for me to really notice. I think I was put off cause I like maple boards.

Next time I'm near a different GC, I'm gonna try another. Honestly, after noodling around a very short time due to the fret ends, I didn't give it much of a chance.

Wish I could be more helpful

• Members

It's pretty thick. I'm a thick neck junkie: the fattest neck I have is the Warmoth boatneck on my project Strat - 1" from the nut to the opposite end. The thickest neck I've ever seen on a production Strat is the one on the original JB Strat (I have one of those); almost as thick as the Warmoth - probably around .90" at the first fret (modern Strats are .78" to .80", depending on the year, whether its US or Mexi, etc.) and roughly 1" at the 12th fret. Other than the Mayer, I'd put the Eric Johnson and SRV shapes next. My EJ is .84" at the first fret and about .980 at the 12th. The SRV is .835" first fret, .970 at the 12th fret. The EJ has a different shape than the SRV, sort of a hybrid V/C (becomes more C as you move up the neck); the SRV is a flatter "oval" shape.

I've only played a Mayer, whereas I own (or have owned) the ones above. From my limited experience with it, I'd say it's at least as thick as the EJ, maybe a tad more.

• Members

His neck is Fat. Have to remember his main Strat was a SRV before he built his signature Strats. So that SRV neck played a BIG part in the make-up on his guitar. He use's the same Dunlop frets as the SRV. But he changed the SRV neck from Oval to a C shape. So its a little thinner, but still larger than a American Serie's. Nice neck reminds me of the very early Robert Crays.

• Members

It's pretty thick. I'm a thick neck junkie: the fattest neck I have is the Warmoth boatneck on my project Strat - 1" from the nut to the opposite end. The thickest neck I've ever seen on a production Strat is the one on the original JB Strat (I have one of those); almost as thick as the Warmoth - probably around .90" at the first fret (modern Strats are .78" to .80", depending on the year, whether its US or Mexi, etc.) and roughly 1" at the 12th fret. Other than the Mayer, I'd put the Eric Johnson and SRV shapes next. My EJ is .84" at the first fret and about .980 at the 12th. The SRV is .835" first fret, .970 at the 12th fret. The EJ has a different shape than the SRV, sort of a hybrid V/C (becomes more C as you move up the neck); the SRV is a flatter "oval" shape.

I've only played a Mayer, whereas I own (or have owned) the ones above. From my limited experience with it, I'd say it's at least as thick as the EJ, maybe a tad more.

Thanks for the very useful info, Don. If the JM neck is roughly the same size as the EJ neck then it'll suit me.

For reference, my American Standard measures 0.835 at the first to 0.87 at the twelfth (not much taper there). My EJ is 0.87 at the first to 0.97 at the twelfth.

The electric with the deepest neck I ever played was a Fender '51 Nocaster. Fender refer to it on their website as a "U" shape (although they also make guitars with a "modern U" that's significantly thinner). The "old U" was just too deep for me. I have average-size hands (according to internet research!) and I really struggled to move around on that thing - felt like I was tossing the caber*, if you know what I mean...

Cheers.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caber_toss

CaberToss.jpghighland_games_caber_tossing.jpg

^^^

Never let it be said that caber-tossing doesn't attract the chicks' attention - what a wee ride! :D

• Members

His neck is Fat. Have to remember his main Strat was a SRV before he built his signature Strats. So that SRV neck played a BIG part in the make-up on his guitar. He use's the same Dunlop frets as the SRV. But he changed the SRV neck from Oval to a C shape. So its a little thinner, but still larger than a American Serie's. Nice neck reminds me of the very early Robert Crays.

Cheers Gary.

Perhaps I'll hunt down the specs for the SRV neck then - that might put me in JM neck ballpark.

:thu:

• Members

i recall playing one a couple years ago @ GC. i remember thinking "man, the neck on this thing is THICK." but at the time, i was playing an SG, which has the pretty slim, 60's style gibson neck.

My 335 has one of those '60s slim taper necks - I've really gone off it because of that, and I plan to sell the guitar. I don't like the neck shape either - a really square 'D' with no meat in the middle :(

I think if I was to buy another Gibson, the neck would need to have the '59 roundback profile :cool:

• Members

The biggest neck on a production Line Strat is the SRV. Early Becks were Fatter but are no longer produced. Early MIM Crays 61-C where very nice necks with 9.5 radius and M-J frets.

The EJ is the ONLY Quartersawn production line Fender neck. Definatly a nice neck. But its not as large as the SRV.

Whwn I bought my second SRV there was a used EJ I could have bought for $1200. I paid $1100 for the SRV used but it was basically new, 3-mths old never used all the plastic still on the PG and Trem, case candy all intact, Green Plastic still on the Tweed latchs...basically mint. The EJ was in very good shape also two-tone no marks.

Playing both Strats side by side? I liked the feel of the SRV neck a little better, and I liked the Tone of the pick-ups a little better? But this is my prsonal opinion. You have to realize, I owned a SRV and had it stolen. So I was looking for GOOD one for awhile. This one is VERY figured for Alder and has a neck that the frets were leveled on. So it plays like butter. The SRV necks with the Dunlop frets and a 12 radius could be a very slow neck if they are not set-up right and the fret=work is not dead-on. But when its right?........LOOK OUT.

Ya the EJ is a KILLER axw but on that day the SRV won my Heart and my cash. I use my SRV and my tricked out 50th Anniversary 04 ASH Strat for a Maple neck Strat. Those two more than cover my Strat needs. I sold my Clapton and may very well pick-up another American deluxe.

• Members

My 335 has one of those '60s slim taper necks - I've really gone off it because of that, and I plan to sell the guitar. I don't like the neck shape either - a really square 'D' with no meat in the middle
:(

I think if I was to buy another Gibson, the neck would need to have the '59 roundback profile
:cool:

yep, i've definitely moved towards a thicker neck as i've gotten older. in fact, i dumped ALL my slimmer neck LPs in favor of fat, 50s necks.

guitar necks are like boobs - small ones are nice to look at, but big round ones are the only ones worth wrappin your hands around. :)

• Members

Ya the EJ is a KILLER axw but on that day the SRV won my Heart and my cash. I use my SRV and my tricked out 50th Anniversary 04 ASH Strat for a Maple neck Strat. Those two more than cover my Strat needs. I sold my Clapton and may very well pick-up another American deluxe.

Hope you don't mind me asking Gaz, but do you have particularly large mits?

• Members

hahaha i'm a boobs man, what can i say? :)

oh, back to guitars ... man, i can't do anything on a slim neck anymore. everything just feels wrong.

miss aenemated has an SG standard that i love dearly, but every time i pick it up, i can't play shit on it. and i don't even have particularly large hands, it's like everthing i try to do, i have to squish my fingers together in a very uncomfortable manner.

• Members

Funny how necks could differ. My SG Standard has the largest neck of and Gibson I own. Its a 59 profile as are 2 other LP's I own, But the SG definatly has the fatest neck. It almost as big as a 58. My Melody Maker and LP-DC Faded both have 60 profiles which pretyy much remind me of American Serie's as far a Fender's go.

The BECK? I played a newer one recently 3-4 weels ago. But it was a used beck that had a downpayment already put on it. So I only fooled with it a few minutes. They really changed that neck alot. That was a Hell of neck back when the guitar was loaded with Lace Sensor's. I "think" from what I have been told is the neck was thinned on the 4th year of production. So 3 years of FAT Becks are out there. BTW recent photo's show Jeff playing the older Lace Sensor loaded signature Strat.

Where it fit in with other large Fender necks? I would think its safe to say, somewhere around the Mayer or EJ. Not as Big as the SRV.

• Members

Hope you don't mind me asking Gaz, but do you have particularly large mits?

Ya I' m 6'4 240 played Tight End at Kansas State. So that will give you an idea of how large my hands are. I'm always on the lookout for LARGE necks.

The one I kick my butt over is the early Beck. Why I didn't buy that Strat?

I can remember going to Sam Ash 97-98 and jamming on the Surf Green Becks with the Wilkinson Roller Nut and BEEFY neck.

You know what it was, I was still collecting Gibsons at the time. Still trying to convince myself that the right Gibson was out here for me. And it wasn't the Gibson's at all. It was plain and simple, I was a Strat player. I play my Gibson's less now then ever. Mainly because I spend so much time with my Strats that I automatically reach for the Trem now. So I picked up a Hamer Mirage II and a PRS Custom 24. Both with excellent working Trems. So in that sence I have had even more time now to work with the Trems.

• Members

Ya I' m 6'4 240 played Tight End at Kansas State. So that will give you an idea of how large my hands are. I'm always on the lookout for LARGE necks.

The one I kick my butt over is the early Beck. Why I didn't buy that Strat?

What's "Tight End" then, Gary? I'm guessing that's an American Football playing position or similar? (or perhaps another type of position, but I'm trying not to drag the conversation down again! ;))

You should look out for an early JB Strat or JB neck on eBay.

Archived