Godin LGX-SA question

Godinuser

• Members

Hello friends,

I have recently purchased a new Godin LGX-SA midi ready beautiful AAA guitar. Well, it was actually not all that new. The dealer did tell me that the guitar was a few years old, but assured me that it had the latest electronics technology. Something about this guy gave a bad feeling, and normally under these condtions I would run for the hills, but I have been looking all over my area for one of these guitars and to see this particular guitar I had to drive over an hour away. The guitar felt great in my hands and sounded great through an amp. The "third voice" acoustic sound was unbelievable. It also looked gorgous. I was not leaving the store without it. However, feeling a bit like I had just been taken by a used car salesman I contacted Godin and asked them to verify what I had been told. Sure enough the guitar was built in 2000 and contained the older pickup/preamp system made by L.R. Baggs and not the newer RMC setup. The Godin rep also told me that the switch was purely a business decision and that the electronic/tracking ability was basically the same. Now, the guitar does track well. I run it through the new VG-99 and it sounds and tracks very well. I also use it to run a number of soft synths, and it still tracks pretty well. I have yet to run it through sibelius but I plan on doing that this evening. My question is this. Is there somebody out there who has actually experienced both of these setups and can actually tell me the difference? I would it appreciate it greatly if someone could shed some light for me. I really like this guitar and I am thrilled with the sonic capabilites, but I will raise hell with the store owner if the newer setup is audibly better. Thank you in advance.

• Members

I have a XTSA which I bought new 2 years ago. The only thing I can compare that tracking to is the Roland GK3 pickup that fits on any guitar. The Godin defiantly tracks better than the GK3 but I was still disappointed with the tracking on the low strings. As you already know you have to work on your synth/guitar technique if you want to get clean sounds. I play thru the Roland GR-20. That synth has a sensitivity adjustment which helps compensate. When everything is set correctly it worked well. I've used mine live a bunch of times with good results. I split the synth and piezo in to Roland KC-550 (180 watt keyboard amp) and put the magnetic pickups into my Marshall.

I also swapped out the stock Godin pickups and replaced them with a Duncan '59 at the neck, a Duncan ST-1 (single coil) in the middle and a Scream

Archived