Has anyone put a humbucker in a danelectro?

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

Add some gain. You can get pretty heavy with lipsticks, or pickups that have a similar outpit. LAKINI'S JUICE by Live is played on a Fender Jag or Jazz, both of which have pretty low output pickups. Nothing light about that tone.

I played a Mustang recently that I loved, but when played through an amp similar to mine... I just couldn't get much I liked out of it, atleast not for what I play. If I was playing in a different kind of band, I'd definitely be into it, but for what I play now... Not so much.

And the gain on my Orange is always dimed, and the 5150... well, it's got too much gain when it's unplugged.

• Members
Like I said, not really a fan of lipstick humbuckers. Too clanky.

I played a Mustang recently that I loved, but when played through an amp similar to mine... I just couldn't get much I liked out of it, atleast not for what I play. If I was playing in a different kind of band, I'd definitely be into it, but for what I play now... Not so much.

And the gain on my Orange is always dimed, and the 5150... well, it's got too much gain when it's unplugged.

Well, I meant a boost pedal, actually. I think the so-called rhythm channel on a 5150 is pretty usable for your main overdrive tone. Anyway, did you try the GFS lipstick HB in your Hodad? People here really like them.

• Members

Well, I meant a boost pedal, actually. I think the so-called rhythm channel on a 5150 is pretty usable for your main overdrive tone. Anyway, did you try the GFS lipstick HB in your Hodad? People here really like them.

I never really use the rhythm channel. Really seems to be lacking something, even for what it is.

Nah, I never really messed with my 6/12 (not a Hodad, actually), except for re-assembling it when I got it (got it from a guy off the telemodders forum for 160 bucks, just needed the necks reattached and set up).

The lipstick HB I tried was in a Hodad, wasn't into it for what I play. A guy I know played one in a indie/post-hardcore band and I really disliked it there, too... didn't cut through at all.

• 13 years later...
  • Members

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rswit83ufyb8i0z/0428182214.jpg?dl=0 

My 2008? Dano 63

Routed to fit a Dimarzio Tone Zone S in the neck slot

Switched to both pickups the sound is fat and smooth, switched to just the Tone Zone it's more Jazzy.

The dano is my main guitar, and I own a decent les paul...

(The Dano neck mount has been professionally shaved)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 12/16/2007 at 5:41 PM, guitarbilly74 said:

my guess is that it would be easier to install a single-sized humbucker like the JB Jr or Hot Rails.

I put a JB Jr in my ‘59 but I had to do some routing and put a plate around it. I really like the sound. It was a fun project. 

• 1 year later...