S101 semi hollow 335 copy, anyone else have one

Rob Dobbs

• Members

I just picked up a used S101 semi hollowbody 335 clone localy from craigslist for $100 with a nice gigbag.

http://sejungusa.com/PagesGuitars/s101_main/05_gtrs/EHI24_05.html

6xqkkcx.jpg

After tinkering, adjusting the neck and and such, its got a great vibe to it. Although much heavier for a semi hollow than Im used to, Im thinking its a great score.

Anyone else care to chime in about their S101 335 clone? Any mods done and what not. Im thinking of adding a Bigsby when I swap out the silver one on my Gretsch for a gold one. Going to give it some time to see if I like the pups and if not, change em out.

• Members

Don't have the 335, but I trust s101 very much. I like them cause they're very very very comfortable guitars, while still being cheap enough to easily afford new pickups and whatnot for them. I have their LP and Tele, both customized, and they're my favourite guitars. I imagine s101 getting significantly more popular in the future, possibly a name change and a price hike =[

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't know much about that unit specifically, but budget semi-hollow >>>>>>>>> budget solid body, in my experience. The resonance added by the cavities tends to make up for the fact that they're usually made of {censored}ty wood.

• Members

can you define "{censored}ty wood"? I scored with a private party sale for $100 cash. The few places ive seen selling the same guitar new range from $300 and up. In other words, the same price as say, a strat, Dot or other more popular "what everyone else has" brand name for the same price.

• Members

:wave:Don't gag now or jump on my back with both boots but, I'm loving my(hides mouth) Peavey JF 335 more and more every day! All it took was a '57 classic in the neck and a '57 classic plus at the bridge. I rarely take out the real 335('72 Guild Starfire VI). As it dries more, the accustic tones get louder and more "alive". I'll gig regularly with it once King Borious has departed.

• Members

can you define "shitty wood"? I scored with a private party sale for $100 cash. The few places ive seen selling the same guitar new range from $300 and up. In other words, the same price as say, a strat, Dot or other more popular "what everyone else has" brand name for the same price.

Then you obviously haven't been checking eBay ;)

I see S101's going for around $150 all the time. I've been looking for a cheap semi-hollow, so this thread was useful. Thanks.

• Members

Ive rarely seen them on ebay at all (I do check). In fact, there is one on there at the moment and maybe 3 in the completed auctions search. Thats why Ive been trying to hear from people who OWN one as opposed to opinions of those who havent played them. Just not much info out there.

• Members
Ive rarely seen them on ebay at all (I do check). In fact, there is one on there at the moment and maybe 3 in the completed auctions search. Thats why Ive been trying to hear from people who OWN one as opposed to opinions of those who havent played them. Just not much info out there.

You're right, I had them mistaken for these semi-hollows.

• Members

You're right, I had them mistaken for

There are also gloss black cheapies listed on ebay but are nothing similar in quality to the S101 335 knock off. I tested one of those gloss black cheapies that sell for about $150 shipped. For a first guitar, they are decent but in need of work. As with near anything, toss enough money at it and it will be a winner, lol.

• Members

its a set neck semi hollow, basicly a Gibson 335 clone. A friend had an old Gibson 335 and fell in love with this inexpensive copy. If anyone else can chime in that has one, Id like to know if the one I have is a fluke or are they all this well made.

• 11 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I bought a red S101 ES335 around 2007. The only thing I changed was the nut from plastic to a bone. I also did some fret work, leveling g a smoothing fret ends. Otherwise it's a great sounding guitar through a 57 Fender tweed twin.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

S101 makes a 335 I would put next to any Gibson made in the last 40 years. However my personal guitars in this style are recent D'Angelico as I would consider them superior to any Gibson made in the last 50 years! Tone, playability, quality is superior. If I didn't have availability  of the D'Angelico I would be proud to own a S101 335 style!

Archived