So I got a digital camera for Xmas...

Red Ant

• Members

Here's a little tip for you to help with guitar pix. Since your camera has VR and a high ISO, turn your flash off, make sure your ISO is at 400 or 800 and make sure the VR is turned on. This will eliminate the hot spots and reflections caused by the flash.

• Members

Nice camera! You'll get the hang of taking fabulous pix before too long, but you have to experiment. Try different ISO settings, f-stops, shutter speeds, lighting, etc.

Personally, I never use natural light, mostly because it's either below freezing or really hot where I live. So I bought some of those cheap aluminum reflector clip-on lights at Wal Mart, and I set my white balance manually when I get them set up. Then, I use a tripod and set an aperature priority with a medium f-stop (between 4 and 6 on my camera).

I set the 10 second self-timer so that I don't shake the camera when I push the shutter, and then just let the camera do the rest.

This is with a tripod, a very slow shutter speed, and one of those aluminum hooded clip on lights (I use a mic stand for the light). The trick is to get the white balance right so that the colors are correct.

r4.jpg

Archived