Broadband Wi-fi routers with best range

where02190

• CMS Author

The computer store wireless routers are pretty limited. If you want to get some serious range, you need the kind that they put in hotels and convention centers that cost a couple of grand. A typical hotel installation will have a few transceivers to cover the whole building, with some of them on poles out in the parking lot with a directional antenna pointing toward the windows.

A friend of mine is sharing his T1 line with an across-the-street neighbor. Theyt're using a pair of D-Link wireless bridges (a not too expensive computer store item) with "Pringles can" style directional antennas. They're running about 300 feet with good transmission stats.

For what it's worth, I get almost double the distance in my house with my new laptop computer which has a built-in wireless setup than I did with my old laptop in which I was using a PCMCIA wireless card. I have real lath-and-plaster walls that make pretty good shields and on a good day, I can get from one end of the house to the other, about 75 feet.

Archived