Peavey: Reactor vs. Generation EXP tele

stanfield

• Members

Both are Peavey, both are tele models, what would you rather play?

--------------------------

Should be a Generation EX to be fair (EXP = 3 p'up). Below are the Gen. EX specs - I believe the Reactor is now discontinued, but was similar to 1960's Telecasters with a thinner neck.

* 25 1/2" scale

* Alder body

* Three-ply pickguard

* Vintage-wound bridge and neck pickup

* Maple neck

* 21 vintage frets

* Single volume and tone controls

* Three-way pickup selector

* Ashtray-style bridge

* Vintage tuners

* 6-in-line headstock

Generation-EX.gif

The Reactor had single-string, non-barrel saddles in the bridge. String-thru body, I've read both Poplar and Alder. Apparently Peavey discontinued the USA-made Reactor and went with an inferior Asian made version. Perhaps this is where the wood changed?

The Reactor's neck was 22-fret, all maple. Bolt-on. I've seen two different headstocks, one with 'smoother' lines. The body of the Reactor was also closer to a traditional Fender Telecaster, and not as rounded as the Gen. EX model.

Well I've owned a Reactor and I let it go. That's the only one that makes me wince a little. I also let one of those 3 pickup tele's go. Great sound, nice player ... don't miss it though. Figured I could get another if I wanted to. But..... although I haven't formally introduced her, I now have a Generation Ex and I think she's the balls! Barking tele tones!! Great feel and great tone!

Peaveygenex01.jpg

And she's quite the looker!

Frets, glad you popped in. Care to briefly compare the Reactor and Gen EX? Specifically the necks and pickups.

Sweet looking axe btw, I really like the blonde/black colour scheme on any tele.

The two were a bit different. The reactor I had was the 2 dbl rail version which had a thicker tele tone. Swamp ash body and a rosewood fretboard. It was a formidable axe. The high E string had a tendency to slip off the board the way I played. Probably an easy fix but..Other than that, tonewise and playabilty, it was great! Phat tone. I could use it for anything.

This one is vintage Fender tone. Depending on amp setup, I can hear Paisley tone, Buchanan tone. I love this neck. As nice a neck as I've ever played on. body is alder and neck is maple. I am very impressed with the pickups. The neck is glorious. The bridge can grab those spank highs without piercing an ear drum.

bigA.jpg

• Members

I played a Strat-style EXP today and was not impressed, but I can only assume Peavey has used multiple manufacturers in their oversea endeavours? This particular one was MIC.

I also played a New York Pro traditional Tele-style, and I would not recommend them. The pocket was not level, and not 90 degrees with the bridge. The hardware looked like chrome-plated zinc (junk). Not surprising from a $150 copy, but too bad.. I kind of dig the headstock :cool:

HW1 - Those triple P90 Peaveys look so nice, I've yet to see one in person. Some day...

• Members

I played a Strat-style EXP today and was not impressed, but I can only assume Peavey has used multiple manufacturers in their oversea endeavours? This particular one was MIC.

I had the same experience. Before I go into "the piezo thing," I had purchased a Peavey EXP Tele. I loved it, and when I got a chance to buy the Strat EXP, I was very excited.

Man, that guitar was total disappointment.

Another thing about Peaveys, it seems, is not just the different manufacturers; it's the many permutations of each model.

The Gen EXP ACM, for example, has so many variations (revisions? improvements?) in the course of its evolution, that it's a bit difficult to figure out what you're getting at first--and it makes them extremely difficult to sell.

The Reactors, were all Tennessee-built. Right?

There is also a pre-EXP Generation series that is extremely sweet. I would recommend looking into them. (Someone posted a NGD thread about one in the not-so-distant past.)

• 12 years later...
  • Members

I have an early Reactor. I use a Tonerider Hot scatter-wound bridge pickup and Fender Fat '63 neck pickup. I went to a Joe Bardon "ashtray" with intonated brass barrel saddles (installed bridge, set string height and intonation was dead on!!!) which changed string spacing to 2 1 /8" to get rid of the "Modern" 2 3/16" spacing. Also put in new Switchcraft  3-way switch and jack, plus CTS pots with a no-load for tone. It is better sounding than any Tele I've ever owned! The Poplar body gives it a "tone of it's own"!

Archived