What's the standard size for a gig flyer?

• Members

I helped advertise a recent charity music festival and, for that, there were multiple sized flyers. This really helped because not every potential advertising space is the same size - we'd have missed out on some of them if they'd all been the large format.

• Members

Well, definitely standard letter, 8/5x11, to start. Postcards (for PR in clubs, record stores (if there are any in existence any longer somewhere) are also good to emply. 11x17 is basically a small poster and *good* if you need to put huge amounts of information on it. If you are going basic, which is probably a good idea, start small, go larger depending where you are placing them. Most stores probably aren't going to allow you to stick an 11x17 on their wall, but 8.5x11 might allow you more flexibility, plus you can pile them on the floor without intruding on the elbow room of them darn blue-collar pedestrian tweekers!

• Members

Thanks. I was asking that question on behalf of someone else. My graphic artist friend who is helping us out, says it's best to design something for a larger flyer and resize it if a smaller one is necessary. Apparently it's tough to resize going bigger.
:idk:

Sometimes. If they're doing it as a raster graphic, that's definitely true: reduction works well, enlargement looks like ass.

Vector graphics scale infinitely both ways.

(or, in easier terms: if working in photoshop, enlarging will look like ass; if working in illustrator you're good either way)

I'd do 11x17" to start, and then your friend will be able to scale the graphics down for other smaller formats.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a graphic designer, but I know a lot about the logistics of digital art)

• Moderators

Well, definitely standard letter, 8/5x11, to start. Postcards (for PR in clubs, record stores (if there are any in existence any longer somewhere) are also good to emply. 11x17 is basically a small poster and *good* if you need to put huge amounts of information on it. If you are going basic, which is probably a good idea, start small, go larger depending where you are placing them. Most stores probably aren't going to allow you to stick an 11x17 on their wall, but 8.5x11 might allow you more flexibility, plus you can pile them on the floor without intruding on the elbow room of them darn blue-collar pedestrian tweekers!

The reason I would not go 8.5x11 is that everyone else can do that. If the intent is to draw attention, then you have to be bigger and better, and in color and legible. ...and on CARD stock, not plain or colored paper.

We began doing 11x17 years ago, and most of the club owners were surprised at first, but later mentioned that the extras we left would usually 'disappear' before we even played the gig because they were essentially free posters in full color. And they were extremely dominant on the wall by comparison and in the outside wall kiosks...twice the size, color graphics...eyecatching, more memorable.

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived