Pickups for blues in HSS strat

styphon

• Members

I was wondering what pickups would be best for blues rock in a Fat Strat? What would give the best gritty sound for the humbucker position? Maybe SD Pearly gates? What about the two singles?

Even though its not the best for blues, I am playing this guitar through a Mesa boogie combo amp, no effects.

• Members

I have vintage noiseless (which are single size stacked humbuckers). They can do pretty much anything and are pretty quiet. Hot noiseless are a bit higher output, so can get dirty faster.

I dunno about the full size HB. I was contemplating getting one for a while, but I'm digging my tone, so I probably won't now.

• Members

I was wondering what pickups would be best for blues rock in a Fat Strat? What would give the best gritty sound for the humbucker position? Maybe SD Pearly gates? What about the two singles?

Even though its not the best for blues, I am playing this guitar through a Mesa boogie combo amp, no effects.

Blues is pretty forgiving when it comes to equipment so I imagine that you get some pretty cool Blues tones with a Mesa amp.

The DiMarzio Super Distortion is a pretty good all around Blues and Rock type pup. It has some good "bark" when pushed. DiMarzio also makes some pretty decent hum canceling single coils these days. The Virtual vintage Blues pup for example.

• Members

My 2 cents, sure a PG, but make sure it's a Pearly Gates PLUS (with the alnico V magnet). They have both Duncan's and Fender's name on them. You can find them at www.gtrheaven.com

I'd go Texas Specials in the neck and middle, but that's me. ;)

• Members

Is it a Fender? What's wrong with the stockers?

They are quite good even in the MIMs I have an MIM Fat that I absolutely Love. Bone stock. As a guitar it doesn't have the solid quality feel of the MIAs that I have, But that never really mattered to me as long as a guitar is playable and stays in tune well(my MIM actually stands up to whammy use quite well),

• Members

So many choices.

I already have a Pearly gates, but it is not the "plus" one, and I was trying to decide to put it in the neck position of my guitar I use for heavier music, or the fender..

I think I am leaning towards a '59 and two texas specials.

• Members

So many choices.

I already have a Pearly gates, but it is not the "plus" one, and I was trying to decide to put it in the neck position of my guitar I use for heavier music, or the fender..

I think I am leaning towards a '59 and two texas specials.

I would not call the 59' "gritty". YMMV

If you have a P-Gates humbucker on hand then you might as well throw it in the strat and see what you think. At any rate it will give you an idea of what direction you want to go in pup flavor wise.

Archived