LOW E TOO BASSY?? HELP??

music4life

• Members

Hey everyone, I was playing my guitar and it has started to sound very bassy on the low E string. To the point it is drivin' me insane!! I cant get a clean tone that plays all 6 strings nicely anymore. I use 10 g strings. Should I go to 9's? Shoudl I lower my one side of the picks ups? Any ideas? Humbuckers pro Alnico 5's. ANy tips would be great thanks..:idea:

• Members

You should get rid of the HBs, but you're probably not open to that idea, so I would get a compressor pedal. That will help.

Also, you might try going one gauge lower on the E string alone: put a 42 or even a 38 on there and see what happens.

I had one guitar one time that drove me to putting an acoustic low E string on (same gauge but less magnetic properties because of brass/bronze helped a great deal).

But, really, you might be a single coil /p90 guy and are just now discovering that.

• Members

Hey everyone, I was playing my guitar and it has started to sound very bassy on the low E string. To the point it is drivin' me insane!! I cant get a clean tone that plays all 6 strings nicely anymore. I use 10 g strings. Should I go to 9's? Shoudl I lower my one side of the picks ups? Any ideas? Humbuckers pro Alnico 5's. ANy tips would be great thanks..
:idea:

It could be that your nut is pinching the low-E string, although it seems unlikely, since your only using .010's. But I would take a look at your nut anyways, and see if anything's going on there.

I had an acoustic guitar and the low E string got really dull sounding after I put a set of strings on one day, and I filed out the slot ever so slightly, and the problem went away completely.

• Members

What do you mean it has "started" to sound very bassy on the low e? Did it not before? My only thought is old strings.

That could very well be. My thought, though, was that the OP had tweaked all the tone settings to dial in the tone he has been looking for; but now that that tone has been dialed in, it gives the A-D-G-B-E just the fullness he wants and puts the low E in the "boominess zone."

Then, again, I might be projecting my past experiences onto his.

• Members

I've got a couple of Teles that do that...if I'm recording and move to the bass strings the level shoots up.

I think lowering the bass side of the pickups is the way to go...mine are on the neck pickups, and I haven't got around to fixing it yet because I have to take the necks off to remove the scratchplate to get at the height screws...stupid!:rolleyes:

:thu:

• Members

Thanks guys, yeah I had turned down the bass on the EQ and though it does help a bit, I just lose all the tone completely. I do use a compressor with it too and it is just way to bassy. I will change the strings today and adjust my pick up height and see what happens.. i havent played it in a while so the starting concepts comes from me not remembering that was there.

I have a p90 guitar too, will try that.

Thanks

• Members

Hey everyone, I was playing my guitar and it has started to sound very bassy on the low E string. To the point it is drivin' me insane!! I cant get a clean tone that plays all 6 strings nicely anymore. I use 10 g strings. Should I go to 9's? Shoudl I lower my one side of the picks ups? Any ideas? Humbuckers pro Alnico 5's. ANy tips would be great thanks..
:idea:

What is the guitar model? Amp model?

What is interesting is when you said "anymore". Have you changed anything in your rig?

As others have said already....lowering the pickup(s) , adjusting the amps EQ and new strings is a good start.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

When winding the low E string around the post put one wrap under & two wraps over the protruding string end. Less downward pressure > boomy. Also l use 4 trem springs but never at the low E string spot. It decreases boom too. My neck pickups are flush with the guard. Sound great. Celluloid pick will decrease mud. Nylon = dull

Archived