How to raise the action on a strat????

Tripakis

• Members

Hi there

Newbie on your forum and i need a little help....

Today i bought a fender stratocaster vintage 70's and when i started playing, the action was TOO low . I searched your forum about raising the action on a strat but i couldnt find anything

Is it easy and safe to adjust the action by myself?

• Members

Usually the neck doesn't care when going from 9's to 10's but I ALWAYS check the intonation on a string change.

When you raise the action you also generally want the strings to match the radius of the fretboard. I usually just eyeball it but you can also use a gauge.

I also prefer a very straight neck. Usually only a 0.010 of relief and a medium to higher action.

• Members

Changing the string gauge is probably going to change the tension that it is setup for right now which would probably mean that the tremolo spring tension will need to be changed accordingly. Chances are that if you are setting it up to begin with and the action is off then intonation will be off, relief will need to be adjusted, etc.

Rather than try to explain everything here, there are some great guides out there like this one: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm

Archived