Which production model guitars have a 1-3/4 nut width?

DonaldDemon

• Members

I am just about ready to order my custom neck and the very last thing I am having trouble deciding is nut width. I have always played 1-11/16 and been ok but I have large hands and I think that 1-3/4 would suit me better. I was almost set on ordering that but I am second guessing myslef having never really played that before.

I've made several trips to guitar stores hoping to find something of that width and had no luck. I want to try once more. Which models come with 1-3/4 nut widths that I should be looking out for?

• Members

I believe that G&L offers a 1.75" nut width option, though I'm not sure if it's special order or standard (I seem to recall playing one at a local shop awhile back).

FWIW... I also have large hands and am a fan of wider (and fatter) necks. In fact I'm currently putting a finish on two necks that I bought from Warmoth. Both are 1.75" nuts with a nice big Fatback profile. I can't wait to get them mounted and strung up.

• Members

I believe that G&L offers a 1.75" nut width option, though I'm not sure if it's special order or standard (I seem to recall playing one at a local shop awhile back).

FWIW... I also have large hands and am a fan of wider (and fatter) necks. In fact I'm currently putting a finish on two necks that I bought from Warmoth. Both are 1.75" nuts with a nice big Fatback profile. I can't wait to get them mounted and strung up.

I don't see mant stores around here that carry G&L so I guesss that won't do me much good. I guess I am just worried that swithing from 1-11/16 to 1-3/4 will feel weird. I have an important show in March and want to use this guitar. The last thing I want to do is be fumbling around on stage!

• Members

I don't see mant stores around here that carry G&L so I guesss that won't do me much good. I guess I am just worried that swithing from 1-11/16 to 1-3/4 will feel weird. I have an important show in March and want to use this guitar. The last thing I want to do is be fumbling around on stage!

Are you ordering from Warmoth or someplace similar (like USACG, etc) that offers other options as well? If so, I think the neck profile that you choose will have as much (if not more) impact than the nut width difference. Just something to think about.

BTW... what kind of guitar are you putting together?

• Members

Are you ordering from Warmoth or someplace similar (like USACG, etc) that offers other options as well? If so, I think the neck
that you choose will have as much (if not more) impact than the nut width difference. Just something to think about.

BTW... what kind of guitar are you putting together?

I am ordering it form Musikraft because I like their prices and options. I am just replacing the neck on my Am Standard Strat.

I have pretty much decided the Chunky C profile (0.950 diameter) but it's the nut width I am stuck on. I want to make sure I can still do thumb-over Hendrix technique but have more thickness. I don't really like the modern C profile on my neck now.

• Members

As far as I know, I've only played a handful (pun intended) guitars with a 1 3/4" nut. It just seems really wide to me. I guess I'm just a sheep because I lean towards the opinion of if 1 11/16 works for an overwhelming majority of players, why not just stick with it. On Warmoths site, it seems as if only about 5% or so of the showcase necks are 1 3/4.

• Members

As far as I know, I've only played a handful (pun intended) guitars with a 1 3/4" nut. It just seems really wide to me. I guess I'm just a sheep because I lean towards the opinion of if 1 11/16 works for an overwhelming majority of players, why not just stick with it. On Warmoths site, it seems as if only about 5% or so of the showcase necks are 1 3/4.

This is a good point on one I keep going over in my head when I am trying to decide.

• Members

As far as I know, I've only played a handful (pun intended) guitars with a 1 3/4" nut. It just seems really wide to me. I guess I'm just a sheep because I lean towards the opinion of
if 1 11/16 works for an overwhelming majority of players, why not just stick with it
. On Warmoths site, it seems as if only about 5% or so of the showcase necks are 1 3/4.

Good point... except that some people (probably a very small percentage) have much larger hands than others.

I'm sure that a size medium or (even large) shirt works for an overwhelming majority of people, too. But what about those of us who would look like our clothes shrunk up in the dryer (or worse, have our underwear too tight :o)... if we wore the same size as everyone else? ;)

• Members

I've got one of these Agile 3100's with the wide neck. I've got bigger hands as well and I think it's extremely comfortable to play. Really, really. Probably one of the most comfortable necks I've ever wrapped my hands around.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1123.html

:idk:

That's good to hear. I bought an AL-3000 Gold Top w/ P-90's and I love everything about the guitar EXCEPT the 1 5/8 nut width. It makes it a real drag to play. Such a shame because I love the look and sound of it but I am very tempted to sell it off because I just don't enjoy playing it.

• Members

I hate narrow nut widths. I have a few guitars with 1 5/8, and a few with 1 11/16. I have very small hands, but still I prefer more width for my style of playing. Looking at the fretboard things just look more open and free and it's somehow more pleasant psychologically. I have a Warmoth neck (angled strat, 15" straight radius ebony board, ss frets, maple wide thin) that I plan on putting on a body that is being made soon. I'm very excited to try it as it looks fantastic.

• Members

I doubt you'll notice it....my Edwards Les Paul has a 1-11/16 nut and I've been playing that pretty much exclusively for the last year...this past week I got a Toka 335 that has a 1-5/8 nut...that' only 1/16 of an inch difference....I literally can't tell them apart, I can play the Tokai for an hour and then pick up the Edwards and it feels just the same...I can easily tell the difference in different neck thicknesses...thank god the Tokai and Edwards are pretty much the same, but I really doubt you'll notice a 1/16 inch difference in the nut...if so it won't be enough to make you fumble about.

• Members

I doubt you'll notice it....my Edwards Les Paul has a 1-11/16 nut and I've been playing that pretty much exclusively for the last year...this past week I got a Toka 335 that has a 1-5/8 nut...that' only 1/16 of an inch difference....I literally can't tell them apart, I can play the Tokai for an hour and then pick up the Edwards and it feels just the same...I can easily tell the difference in different neck thicknesses...thank god the Tokai and Edwards are pretty much the same, but I really doubt you'll notice a 1/16 inch difference in the nut...if so it won't be enough to make you fumble about.

I don't know, I definitely notice it on my Agile. My Les Paul feels much less cramped with 1-11/16 than my 1-5/8 Agile LP. So much, that I don't play the Agile all that much because its uncomfortable.

• Members

Well I finally brought a ruler with me to GC and found 2 guitars with 1-3/4 nut widths. There was a G&L Intruder and a Gretch Tennesee Nash. They felt great so I am going to be ordering that neck today! I had no problems getting my hand around it. I also played a R& gold top wit the huge neck and fell in love! Too bad I didn't have $2800 lying around.

BTW, the Gretch played and sounded awesome. It sounded like there a compressor built in with those Filtertron pickups!

Archived