Peavey Predators - neck tilt question

FUBTAG

• Members

:wave:

I just got a pair of Peavey Predators from the early '90s. Cool guitars.. I love the sound but the fret ends (which seem to be a common complaint with these guitars) are horrible. Both sides sharp as anything. But I know with a little TLC these guitars are going to be amazing. (I posted pics of my first one which is white. ... the second is a black one...)

My question is about the neck tilt... is it akin to shimming? I am a little perplexed by it's function. Anyone able to shed a little light on this?

Thanks!

• Members

It's to adjust your string action. Chip Todd suggests that if you're trying to lower the strings, that you use the neck tilt adjustment first, then adjust the bridge if necessary.

Loosen the screws on the neck plate in this order:

Then adjust the neck tilt, then retighten screws to check action.

• Members

Loosen the two lower screws around a full turn and the two upper around a half...then turn the allen screw to raise the heal...make sure you slack the strings. It's a similar function to a neck shim, yes. I typically get the saddles adjusted where they're comforatble for palm muting and then just tilt the neck till I get the action where I want.

• Members

Loosen the two lower screws around a full turn and the two upper around a half...then turn the allen screw to raise the heal...make sure you slack the strings. It's a similar function to a neck shim, yes. I typically get the saddles adjusted where they're comforatble for palm muting and then just tilt the neck till I get the action where I want.

Wouldn't this also affect the intonation and the neck tension (torsion) adjustment? It seems like alot of adjustment available... just afraid of overuse.. ya know "with great power comes greater responsibilty.." kinda thing.

• Members

Wouldn't this also affect the intonation and the neck tension (torsion) adjustment? It seems like alot of adjustment available... just afraid of overuse.. ya know "with great power comes greater responsibilty.." kinda thing.

I can't say it does or doesn't...relief and intonation are the last things I set...in that order. Oh..well..I tweak action a bit too.

• Members

Anyone know of a trem with a steel block that will fit one of these. I would like to get rid of the plastic block if I can.

I was thinking the GFS MIM one.?..........sorry for the hijack.

no prob!! :wave: Actually -- there is a plastic block?? wow. Maybe that's why it seems so twangy??

• 12 years later...
  • Members
On 1/28/2008 at 1:30 PM, lowbrow said:

On 1/28/2008 at 1:30 PM, lowbrow said:

What size allen key should I use on the neck tilt screw? I am getting no where by adjusting the truss rod and need to raise the action.

Archived