hshaitan

• Members

I remembered when I tried them, chords would ring out the way I wanted to when strumming. Single note picking was really fast though, and it had less attack that was good for shredding I guess.

Why do so many people use them though? What's so great about them? I might have to give them a try again.

• Members

If grip is a problem, I read somewhere about someone scoring them on both sides with a hot knife :eek:

Personally, I tried them out 'cause Eric Johnson and Vernon Reid used them, and once I got used to it, I loved them so much that I haven't used other picks since (except on 12 string bass, where I just have to have a bigger pick for some reason).

Steve

• Members

Just bought some for the first time. Got the Ultex ones and I don't think I'll ever be buying another pick. Sweet little things. I just find that there's way too much there with other picks, to the point that I'm hitting the pickguard in between the strings when I'm picking (that's probably a mix of bad form as well). With the III's, the actual point of the pick is just barely extending from my fingers, so it's not hitting anything I don't want it to.

• Members

I found once I got used to them, strumming wasn't an issue. I find its the picks shape that is very conducive to playing fast.

True, t's a matter of getting used to the size. these days full sized picks feel akward to me.

Also, the hardness of the ick make it easier to control for me at least. If you want a bit of "give" to the pck when you strum, just loosen the grip slightly to make it flex between your fingers

• Members

Why do people like 'em so much?

I've tried them a few times and I think they are great until I try and play something that involves strumming and then the itty bitty pick goes flyin'...

Easy . . .

. . . please allow me to explain, young sir :

You see, pro-muso's, spesifically shredders stated that they use it, because it is as hard as phuk, and there is a "direct energy transfer :blah:" (just read the copy of Guitar One, April 07, pg 62-66), where blokes like Petrucci, Laiho, Heafy and what not, declare their ever lasting love for said JAZZ III blacks - ermmmm, what ever !

Now the "general" train-of-thought is, "if they use it, it must be good for shredding" !

My father said it best - monkey see, monkey do !

See easy !

:thu:

Disclaimer : i have the utmost respect for John Petrucci as a guitarist, it is his vocalist in Dreamtheater that i can not stand !!!

Archived