Proper grounding - Epiphone Dot Studio?

Big Pimpin' T

• Members

Hi all,

I just finished swapping out the stock HBs in my Epiphone Dot Studio for a pair of Gibson Burstbuckers (BB2 in the neck, BB3 in the bridge). They sound amazing but I still have one problem.

The guitar is still noisy! There's a constant buzz, even when playing clean, that isn't there on my Ibanez SZ (Duncan Distortion/DiMarzio PAF Pro), so I got to wondering if the grounding of the pickups was the problem, seeing as the stock pickups were noisy as well.

I used the ground cable that was already there when I did the pickup swap. However, I have no idea where they grounded it at the factory, with the Dot being a semi-hollow, it's kind of hard to see where it leads to.

So I figure, next time I change my strings, I'll make a proper ground wire, but here's the question: where should the ground be, the stoptail or the TOM bridge? What's the best place for it?

Thanks,

Big T

• Members

Doesn't really matter whether it's the bridge or tailpiece, as long as it's at least one of them. They are electrically connected by the strings.

It sounds like touching the strings makes no difference in the noise? If touching them does make a difference, your bridge ground is functioning.

• Members

That's exactly the problem, the noise DOESN'T go away when I touch the strings, so that's why I assumed the ground.

I've never grounded a TOM bridge before. On my Tele it was easy, I just sanded a small portion under the bridge and soldered a cable there. On a TOM I assume that I would connect the ground under the "anchor" or whatever it's called where the posts go into the body? Are they rather easy to take out?

Thanks to all for your help so far.

Archived