The new look of the forum

where02190

• Members

I think tis a winner but as nick mentioned, the type is tiny.

On this computer I'm running 1600X1200 resolution. Now this forum, along with a couple of others I visit, is very difficult to read and resetting the default browser text size doesn't make a difference. Good thing CTL + functions. :)

The one thing I dislike to this point is the full monitor width of the text. As mentioned it's difficult reading. That feature is great in a spreadsheet but sucks for prose. Moving the avatars and post count back to the left will certainly help.

Also, I was knocked out that it actually came back up well within the stated time frame. I gave it a shot last night at 9:00pm Pacific time and found it functional.

This is almost as hot an upgrade as the one that recently occured at JPF.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But A principal I use in design (and writing, and other things) is not to express something through multiple means if it's not necessary...'less is more', I guess. Since you are a website designer, I'm curious what you think about that.

I'm a big fan is "less is more" and I try and use negative space liberally in my designs.

Strangely enough, I perceive the new look as being LESS crowded than the old. Interesting, huh? Perhaps your eye is being grabbed by the relative darkness of the contrasting horizontal separators.

Like anything that's being judged purely on aesthetic, there's room for taste and interpretaion. But I like it.

- Jeff

• Members

I'm a big fan is "less is more" and I try and use negative space liberally in my designs.

Strangely enough, I perceive the new look as being LESS crowded than the old. Interesting, huh? Perhaps your eye is being grabbed by the relative darkness of the contrasting horizontal separators.

Like anything that's being judged purely on aesthetic, there's room for taste and interpretaion. But I like it.

- Jeff

I think you are right about the contrasting horizontal separators. I'm looking forward to getting into the new functional goodies...probably not until I get home tonight though.

• Members
I find the blue backround makes the text very diffcult to read, I prefer more contrast, as the old setup was.

Actually, pale blue (green) is easier on the eyes than white in the long haul. I've set my MS word to use a pale blue for background for years.

Plus my big band chart pads are in eye-easy green. :thu:

--------------------------

As for what's missing, I like the "pm", "www", and other profile link buttons that were in the old format.

• Members

Geez...quit yer whining. :rolleyes:

21" too wide for your eyes? Easy - click on the lower right-hand corner of your browser window & drag it to the left. Narrow as you like it.

Avatars on the top too confusing? Think of it like a letterhead. Personally, I'm glad they're smaller.

Admins - can color profile selection be enabled? That would give options to those who don't like blue.

Nice to have formatting controls - less typing of tags is nice! :thu:

Plus, smilies go where :wave: you :wave: put :wave: your :wave: cursor, :thu: instead of defaulting to the end of the post!

Me is happy. Me may start posting more.

• Members
How do you do a search. I may be think but I cant' see it!!!!

Didn't you read the FAQ? :rolleyes:

To access the search feature, click on the "search" link at the top of most pages.

Just joking. I can't find it either. No search = giant step backwards, regardless of other "features."

• Members

No search = giant step backwards, regardless of other "features."

The announcement about the upgrade addresses this:

The Harmony Central Forums have been upgraded! We hope you enjoy the updated feel of the forums. Search should be returning sometime tomorrow (January 11th).

• Members
Did the colors change ??
:eek:

I'm color blind ... I see the colors are kinda different (different intensity) but I could not tell what the color WAS and what it is now...
:(

Gus, it was rather purple/lavendar before and I, personally, freakin' hated it. The new color scheme involves verying shades of blue. Nice and smooth and cool looking.

- Jeff

Gus, it was rather purple/lavendar before and I, personally, freakin' hated it. The new color scheme involves verying shades of blue. Nice and smooth and cool looking.

- Jeff

Oh!
Thanks. I actually feel "softer" these new colors. Easier for my eyes.

Purple? :eek: ... never knew that...

• Moderators

Did the colors change ??
:eek:

I'm color blind ... I see the colors are kinda different (different intensity) but I could not tell what the color WAS and what it is now...
:(

I happen to have THIS handy which I think still shows the original colors.

Terry D.

• Members

Actually, pale blue (green) is easier on the eyes than white in the long haul. I've set my MS word to use a pale blue for background for years.

Plus my big band chart pads are in eye-easy green.
:thu:

--------------------------

As for what's missing, I like the "pm", "www", and other profile link buttons that were in the old format.

I was refering to the lack of any other contrasting colors as was previous. I personally find this very diffcult to read.

Agree the lact of the PM, www and other personal links is a drag, and I absolutely HATE that I have to click a button before making a "quick" reply.

Call me silly, but the quick reply would be quick if you could just type in the box and hit reply.

And someone please tell me there's a way to stop that obnoxious pop up {censored} when you mouse over post titles!!!!!!!!! That is the most annoying crap, who thought that was a good idea?

Why can't things just be left well enough alone. I'd have rather seen something like the SEARCH FUNCTION work properly!!!!!!!

• Members

I absolutely HATE that I have to click a button before making a "quick" reply.

I just fixed that.

And the search function and some other look and feel type things will be addressed over the next few days... please be patient. HC didn't program the forum software from scratch and the upgrade really needed to happen. We are basically on the "default" look and feel right now which can be tweaked to some degree.

• CMS Author
That's what I did. I probed the control panel and all sorts of clickable items. I'm still noticing interesting new things here and there. It's different, but I think it's way more user friendly and intuitive.

How much more userf friendly does it have to be? How user un-friendly was it before the change? If it's so intuitive, how come I can't figure out what "Multi-Quote" is and does? I click on the button and it doesn't do anything visible. Maybe it doesn't like Netscape. That's not very user friendly - at least not to this user.

I think they did a fine job updating and porting the contents

No doubt there was some labor involved, and it's good that they did their homework. Perhaps the new version makes maintenance easier and that will pay off for the maintainers. But as a user, I don't see any improvements, only changes. It's not a big deal. I can ignore them. But when someone puts something new on my plate, I'd like to know what it is and why it's there. No different than a new version of a comfortable old DAW that no longer comes with a printed manual. ;)

Archived