Help finding a "Dark" sounding key/scale

Voltaire

• Members

I'm trying to come up with "dark" or evil? sounding songs for a contest..

but somehow everything I try comes up happy sounding!

and yes I already know it's not always the key or scale that makes it dark but the tone and tempo..

but it'd help if i was in a generally dark sounding scale/key whatever.

help :wave::wave:

• Members

Well, regular ol' minor is the first thing that comes to mind. If that's not working, try using the Dorian (2nd mode of the major scale) or Locrian (7th mode of the major scale) modes.

Might wanna head to Lesson Loft (or google) if you need more help than this.

• Members

Try using this scale in the key of E. (It's a form of a minor, not sure what exactly this scale is in context tough.)

E, F, G#, A, B, C, D#, E

You could make it pretty frightening if you tried.

I always refer to that one as "The Offspring scale..." D and D# tend to be interchangeable.

Change the F to F# and G# to G and you've got yourself Harmonic Minor. (Oh, looks like someone beat me to it :p)

And diminished/altered scales/whole tone... Well, they don't sound pretty, that's for sure. I'm sure playing whole tones over regular major/minor chords are sure to scare some people...

Oh, that's an idea. Use some really awkward chords :thu:

• Members

Well, E minor and E harmonic minor have worked for metal for a LONG time! A lot of the Malmsteen stuff uses the E harmonic minor scale.

Usually scales aren't very sad sounding, but they can have a mournful type of quality, or maybe pastoral is a better word. The largo of Vivaldi's Winter would be a good example. It's in a Major key, so it should be happy, but I've always thought of that movement as autumn slightly peaking through in an otherwise dreary winter, but autumn is sad that she isn't really there anymore.

George Lynch has what he calls the gothic octave which has some third intervals and some chromatic steps, kind of like this:

-----------------------------

-------------5-6-9-10-------

--------6-7------------------

--7-8------------------------

Or something like that. I don't have a guitar in front of me, so I can't be sure.

As far as actual keys, I've always thought of C minor, C# minor and F minor as the darker keys but on guitar, I always go back to E minor and B minor.

Archived