whats the best epiphone les paul?

takanick

• Members

what is it? i'm thinking of getting one. i've owned a squire strat for 12 years now and they made squires real good way back then. the new ones theyve been making are just close to junk imo. i like the les pauls cause i think, like an acoustic guitar they are versatile for every style. any my strat has taken enough beating. i'd like to semi-retire and preserve her. shes got a lot of sentimental value to me. anyways can you guys point me the right direction here? i'd appreciate it. thanks guys.

• Members

Id say top of the heat is the Customs and these new Prophecys Epiphone has just released.

Just slightly below that is the Standards,Plus's and Classics,Ultras.

And finally the Studios and Jr's.

All can be stellar guitars in the right hands btw.

• Members

thanks guys. how much for a custom? and would it sound just like or damn close to the gibson version? thats what im after as well; the gibson les paul sound.

Youll get close but the secret to Gibsons tone from an Epiphone is upgraded pickups. My LPC went from Nice guitar for the $$$ too Amazing sounding nice guitar for the $$$.

The whole Epi line with a quality pickup upgrade can get you Very close to the Gibson counterparts IMO.

The Prophecys and Elitists have Gibson pickups in them allready.

And are priced accordingly.

• Members

Agreed the Elitists are top of the heap.

And the prices run from $1000 -$1300 new and are essentialy a MIJ Gibson without the Gibson headstock. At Sweetwater they have a nice Elitist LPC Black Beauty(2 pickup) for $1099 new and is quite a good deal if you have a Grand to spend.

If not pick a nice MIK/ MIC Epiphone example and upgrade the pickups.

• Members

If you buy an Elitist, my inclination is to have you get a Gibbo instead...however, for something like the LPC Elitist, it is about a grand cheaper than the Gibbo counterpart

thats how i feel too. and theres no way im spending a grand right now. i just dont have the money. how much do the customs go for?

• Members

thats how i feel too. and theres no way im spending a grand right now. i just dont have the money. how much do the customs go for?

$699 new, I believe, but if you're good, you can haggle down at least $75

Click the link in my sig for a picture of mine...I love it to death

• Members

customs are a grand?? F!

i remember seeing this video on youtube called epiphone les paul vs. gibson les paul or somethin like that. it was this guy thats really knowledgable who gave his opinion and reviews. he really praised the epiphone as sounding real close to the gibson one and really good price for the sound and feel. except that the tuners sucked and wouldnt stay in tune. it did sound orgasmic though. i believe he mentioned the epiphone was $600 or something like that. i cant find that video anymore. i dont remember which epi lp it was. but thats what won me over to get an epi lp.

• Members

That vid has A Standard Plus I believe. And the new ones have really good Grover tuners btw.

Mine has rock solid stock Grovers.

And dont forget Gibson and Epiphone are the Same company So your LP is truly a LP. Even Lester and Gibson say so. Its just an Economy Version thats all.

I think Coop here bought 4 or 5 beautifull Epiphone LPs and their upgrades for the price of one fine Gibson example.

And the above Floyd LP is giving me goose bumps I want one so bad.

Hers mine:

dscn6447gm3.th.jpg

• Members

I have an Epi Custom (Black with 3 pickups) thats sounds good. Actually better than some Gibson I tried but I think it was some bad Gibson guitars. I have also tried other Epi les pauls but if you go for the cheaper ones you actually get what you are paying for and the cheaper ones are in my opinion not worth paying for.

Sometimes you can find information regarding what factory that produced a crtain Epi guitar as there has been many factories around and at least my custom recieved a very high score. Unfortunately its some time ago so I dont remember the www but its out there.

Good Luck

• Members

If you can find an Epi LP Deluxe...I'd snag one...

I have a Std+...a Deluxe and had a Silverburst Custom...

The deluxe has the exact sound I'm looking for...The Std is a little darker and the Custom was a little too bright...

All guitars sound different so you should try several LPs and see which type fits you best...

I'm itching to a get a goldtop 56 w/p90s...

The deluxe (limited run from a few years ago) with shipping and OHSC was $430ish...the Std+ was a little less and the custom closer to $450

Here's an early welcome to the Epi Empire...

Archived