Sign in to follow this  
ebmx66

MIM Deluxe Players or American Standard?

Should I spring the extra cash for the American made and just be done with it?

main differences i noted are:

-12 radius vs 9.5

-21 vs 22 frets

-Vintage Noiseless vs american standard

I already have a mexi standard that is old, a little beat up, and the pickups are terrible.... and I want a new one :)

I'm not a fan of the noiseless pups, but I do like the 12" radius. Its a tough choice, as they are both fine guitars. I think its really just your preference that can decide this one.

I already have a mexi standard that is old, a little beat up, and the pickups are terrible.... and I want a new one
:)

1) a little beat up is cool. It adds mojo.

2) pickups are easy to change

3) GAS is incurable. :D

The frets on the Deluxe Players I had were pretty bad. Sharp and not level. I never could get it set up well, and because of the sharp edges, it wasn't much fun to play. The pickups sounded decent to me. Overall it was close to being a nice guitar, but not quite there. I'd spring for the American.

The frets on the Deluxe Players I had were pretty bad. Sharp and not level. I never could get it set up well, and because of the sharp edges, it wasn't much fun to play. The pickups sounded decent to me. Overall it was close to being a nice guitar, but not quite there. I'd spring for the American.

I've seen that on lots of production guitars recently, and quite a few fenders from MIMs to MIAs. I do my own fret work so its not a huge issue, but it should be kept in mind when shopping around. Carefully inspect the workmanship on each individual guitar you try.

If you try out a black MIA and its setup great, plays well, you can't say "i'll take a red one." Try before you buy.

the new american standards are pretty sick guitars. but i will vouch for the deluxe player's strat in this case, because i can't get over how awesome mine is:

DSCF0773.jpg

The new Americans are awesome. They have been selling like crazy.

I'd love to see the sales statistics. Where did you get the info on how well they are selling?

I've owned a lot of strats and I've played most of the more popular current strats and if I lost everything and had to start over with something brand new and readily available, I'd either get a Deluxe Players or a Lonestar Strat.

Nothing wrong with the American stuff, but I could live with the Deluxe or Lonestar as is. I'd want to replace at least the neck pickup in the American Standard immediately. Other than resale value, I don't think it's worth the extra $$$.

is the fretwork and neck quality going to be just as good on the standard MIM as the deluxe MIM?

i can't factually tell you, but my experience is that the few mim standards i tried had decent fretwork but needed a little work, while the deluxe players strat i have (read: the only one i've ever played) has excellent fretwork.

Yeah, I think it's still luck of the draw. I've played a couple Deluxe Players that were absolutely outstanding and I've played several American Standards that were bordering on dud-dom.

I would assume that if I ordered one online, I'd need to do some minor fret polishing and possibly clean up some slightly sharp edges whether it was one of the upper end Mexican strats or an American Standard. Having said that, if I ordered one online, I'd also assume once I put a couple hours work into it, I'd be very, very happy with the end result.

My biggest issue is I prefer glossy-finished necks and I have a wall full of Japanese and Korean Squiers that I prefer the necks of over almost any of the non-resissue Fenders. I still feel that of the sub $1100 Fenders, the Deluxe Players and the Lonestars are the best value. Wouldn't ignore the Highway 1s either.