LAN networking question - Mac and PC

thankyou

• Members

I've had DSL for some time and want to run a hardwire Linksys router between my iMac (OSX 10.3.9) and my wife's Dell laptop with XP Home. I can see the router recognizes the DSL modem and my computer, but I can't connect. I'm pretty sure that I have to get my provider and password to the router, but I have been through screen after screen of Cisco and Apple help and still am confused. I haven't tried the PC yet, but the Mac has the DSL already set up, so I thought it would be the logical starting point.

Thanx in advance.

Henry

• Members

I really would like to help you, but my Windows is in german, and I don't know the english names of all that.

However, there is a very good manual on the microsoft website, and it takes not more then 5 minutes to set up the connection on the Windows side.

How to set up a small network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/en-us

How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 2)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813937/en-us

etc.

• Members

I've had DSL for some time and want to run a hardwire Linksys router between my iMac (OSX 10.3.9) and my wife's Dell laptop with XP Home. I can see the router recognizes the DSL modem and my computer, but I can't connect. I'm pretty sure that I have to get my provider and password to the router, but I have been through screen after screen of Cisco and Apple help and still am confused. I haven't tried the PC yet, but the Mac has the DSL already set up, so I thought it would be the logical starting point.

Thanx in advance.

Henry

Henry-

There are a couple of issues that arise...

A) Every Piece of electronic equipment has what;s called MAC code (Media Access Code). Not to be confused with your Mac Computer....

Your ISP most likely has a filter on your DSL line which will only allow the MAC address of your Mac computer to be used. Call your ISP and tell them that you have a new MAC Address that you want on the DSL line.

B) You have to have your IP's setup correctly... Most DSL lines Connect with a PPPoe Protocol, but your Router uses I.P. Addressing. Set your Router to DHCP, and then set your Mac and the PC to DHCP COnnection. On the Mac this is done by Going to Network Preferences, selecting the Built in Ethernet Port (assuming that's what yoru using) and changing the setup to DHCP. Your Router will then assign an IP to the Mac. On the PC, go to Network Places, and look at your Ethernet port..It shoudl be configured to connect automatically. You can then click on Propertie to see yoru I.P.

You Should then be online.

Hope this helps,

-Todd A.

• Members

what did you plug the DSL modem into? it should be plugged into the WAN port, not a LAN port. the MAC address for the ISP SHOULD only be the modem itself. the router needs to be setup for the DSL and you can access it and type in your log/pwd if needed on the setup page [usually accessing it http://192.168.0.1 in your web browser, and change your password in it off 'admin]... set up your DHCP on the router for as many computers as you have [2], unless you want to add more w/o resetup, or add WAP. set your computers to DHCP as well.

• Members

DLS generally uses PPOE authentication, which you have to set on the router via the web interface.

The cabling flow is as follows;

DSL Modem Ethernet out-->Wan port of Router, thenMac + Pc +, etc connect to the other available ports.

The router will hand out IP addresses after this layout has been established ( it is usually a default setting) and you get to the router interface by typing it's Ip address in the browser address area. (Usually 192.168.x.1, x being the only number I have seen change between manufacturers, .1 is almost always the address given the router.

Once you type in the router address, you will likely get a login window. Look for PPOE user and password spaces, and enter those you use for the MAC on its' own.

If the router has the ability to do MAC address spoofing ( and by MAC I mean the serial number of the network card, not Macintosh), type in the MAC address of your original 'online' computer.

Save the settings, you should be good.

The 192.168.x.x numbering pattern is common. Linksys/Cisco used to use 192.168.1.1, with the third octet ( the place I typed an x in above) being the variable between manufacturers, but lately I have seen them using 15 in the third octet, like 192.168.15.1...You can do a quick google for ways to find the MAC address and IP address on whichever machine you are working from.

• Members

its usually in the setup guide, linksys have been using the 192.168.0.1 for a while now.... the only model i have come across so far for 192.168.1.1 was their modem/router/wap all in one unit, but that even changed to x.x.0.1 in the last rev that i set up for a client.

• Members

If you've added in the router then, you have to setup your router with the ISP info, just as you did for your mac. So essentially the router connects to the modem/dsl. For me, typing in 192.168.1.1 connects me to the router... There is software (cd) to install for it. Once you have all your ISP stuff in the router setup page. Then in the network preferences in the Mac set to Using DHCP essentially that should be it. Just realize that you don't want PPPoE setup in your mac.

Then just setup email preferences for each puter and you're done.

I share files between Mac and PC, have wireless and Lan connections. 5 right now.

Are both systems not connecting, or just the Mac?

Later

• Members

Even if you get things set up correctly there may be a delay before you can access the net. My DSL provider suddenly started the filtering mentioned above. At that time I was using a basic hub between my modem and computers. The first computer to access the net was the only one allowed to access the net that day. Once I replaced the hub with a router I had to wait until the next day for it to be granted access by the phone company handeling my DSL. Once the router got access my problems went away as it hides my other computers form the provider.

Robert

Archived