Vox AD30VT problems...

streetknight

• Members

Anyone else? I've read quite a few reliability issue reviews.

I've had this thing for about 8 months, and honestly I never play it much cause the wife and kids complain. I usually use my Pod with headphones.

It probably has 3 hours playing time on it since I bought it new.

I've never really noticed a problem until today. I just installed new pups in my strat. I hooked it up to the Vox and started playing. I tried to roll off the volume on the strat and it started cracking and popping and with the volume below 6 or 7 it had no volume at all. Just like you turned the amp off. I assumed it was something wrong with my pup install in the guitar. I took the guitar back apart and couldn't find anything wrong. Put it back together and hooked it to my Micro Cube and it played fine at all places on the volume knob. Hooked it back to the Vox. Plays fine when volume wide open, but back off and it quits. Tried different cables same thing. Finally hooked another guitar to the Vox and it did the same thing although I did have to turn the volume down further on the other guitar (3-4)

Anyone else had a similar problem or know what it could be?

• Members

sounds like your pot(s) may have gotten a little crusty inside. Did you try working them back and forth (with the amp off)? I have found that some amps (stereo receivers, boom boxes, etc.) will do that if left unplayed for prolonged periods. Also don't forget the knob on the back...that's what allows you to dial in good cranked tone while keeping the speaker volume low.

• Members

I'll try moving all the knobs around. What's got me stumped is that with the guitar's volume dimed it works fine, roll off the guitar volume and it starts going to crap.

I've always left the power switch on the back in the same posistion since I've found the tone I like. I'll move everything around and see what happens.

• Members

Try a different guitar into it. Could be the pickup install, even if everything looks right. When I took auto shop, the intructor always said, "if you find a new engine problem, go back to the last thing you did to it."

EDIT: Never mind, I see that you tried that. (I have poor reading skills late at night)

• Members

Try a different guitar into it. Could be the pickup install, even if everything looks right. When I took auto shop, the intructor always said, "if you find a new engine problem, go back to the last thing you did to it."

Did try another guitar. It did the same thing, although I did have to turn the volume on the guitar down lower than the other one.

• Members

I haven't had that issue on my Korean made AD30VT. I would think that because you are lowering the volume via the guitar, it would not have anything to do with the pots on the amp. If you were rolling off the volume at the amp, then I could see the amp's pots being the problem.

Go here http://www.valvetronix.net/forum/ , join up and ask the same question. It's definitely not a high volume forum but there are a couple of guys there that really know their VOX amps.

• Members
Anyone else? I've read quite a few reliability issue reviews.

I've had this thing for about 8 months, and honestly I never play it much cause the wife and kids complain. I usually use my Pod with headphones.

It probably has 3 hours playing time on it since I bought it new.

I've never really noticed a problem until today. I just installed new pups in my strat. I hooked it up to the Vox and started playing. I tried to roll off the volume on the strat and it started cracking and popping and with the volume below 6 or 7 it had no volume at all. Just like you turned the amp off. I assumed it was something wrong with my pup install in the guitar. I took the guitar back apart and couldn't find anything wrong. Put it back together and hooked it to my Micro Cube and it played fine at all places on the volume knob. Hooked it back to the Vox. Plays fine when volume wide open, but back off and it quits. Tried different cables same thing. Finally hooked another guitar to the Vox and it did the same thing although I did have to turn the volume down further on the other guitar (3-4)

Anyone else had a similar problem or know what it could be?

As I said in your other post, check your noise gate setting if you haven't already.

• Members

As I said in your other post, check your noise gate setting if you haven't already.

I'll try that. Last time I played it I think I had the Noise gate pretty high since I was playing with the Numetal model and a distortion pedal.

Fingers crossed. Thanks:thu:

Archived