Are there any single coil Strat pickups with adjustable pole pieces?

Mr Songwriter

• Members

Right off the top of my head, I can't recall ever seeing any with adjustable pole pieces, but you can always just lower the wound string side of the pickup a little bit relative to the unwound side. I've pretty much always done that on my neck pickup and the opposite on my bridge pickup.

• Members

i was gonna suggest ap-11s as well. what do you mean they chew up your picks?

The polepieces are kind of jagged and when I speedpick the tip of the pick hits them sometimes and wears out the tip faster than regular polepieces would. It isn't so much of a problem with regular picks, but I'm using Jazz III XL's and I don't really enjoy wearing the tips out on those too fast.:freak:

They sound great though, I love the sound of Carvin AP-11s.

My Strat with the AP-11s is out of commission now anyways, tho.

• Members
The polepieces are kind of jagged and when I speedpick the tip of the pick hits them sometimes and wears out the tip faster than regular polepieces would. It isn't so much of a problem with regular picks, but I'm using Jazz III XL's and I don't really enjoy wearing the tips out on those too fast.
:freak:

They sound great though, I love the sound of Carvin AP-11s.

My Strat with the AP-11s is out of commission now anyways, tho.

Try some Dunlop Stubbies. Takes months to wear one out.

• Members

Try some Dunlop Stubbies. Takes months to wear one out.

Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll try them someday.

But right now I'm very much into red Jazz III XL's. I tried regular Jazz III's but they would fly out of my hand when I would speed strum octaves, etc.

And I find the red nylon ones to be less slippery than the black stiffo ones.

31PVJLO9uzL._SS500_.jpg

• 11 years later...
  • Members
1 hour ago, Fact007 said:

Well explain this knoffler guitar in this video clearly shows strat pickups with adjustable poles but no screw head. So somehow they have to be adjustable when they are removed as im seeing in this knoffler video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sUznyA2GZw

those look like staggered pole pieces to me,  I think Fender used this type of pickup from 1955 to 1973 before switching to flat pole pickups, but nowadays the staggered pickups are still offered on some models

• Members
On 2/28/2020 at 11:35 AM, bieke said:

those look like staggered pole pieces to me,  I think Fender used this type of pickup from 1955 to 1973 before switching to flat pole pickups, but nowadays the staggered pickups are still offered on some models

Exactly that - they're just normal staggered alnico slugs, non-adjustable.

Holy thread resurrection batman! This zombie was dead 12 years.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I know it’s 2 years after somebody resurrected after 12 years, but all the referenced adjustable pole strat single coils are P90 design (bar magnets underneath with steel pole pieces threaded through). 
I’ve only found one true strat-style single coil with adjustable poles (uses threaded alnico pole pieces) from The Creamery in the UK, but they aren’t currently taking orders. https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/sonic-six-adjustable-pole-strat-pickup.html

Has anyone else found any others like this?

• 1 month later...