anyone use any rubbing compound for cars on their guitar?

AndyVengeance

• Members

was looking into some to buff out some scratches and scuffs... but i don't want to damage my finish... any recommendations? i have a few deep scratches i would try to buff out. this might be stupid.. but i thought i should give it a try if it's harmless.

any thing that would help would be great.

i have an antique violin finish

• Members

was looking into some to buff out some scratches and scuffs... but i don't want to damage my finish... any recommendations? i have a few deep scratches i would try to buff out. this might be stupid.. but i thought i should give it a try if it's harmless.

any thing that would help would be great.

i have an antique violin finish

Try Mirror Glaze or Swirl Remover first and then if you need more, then try automotive polishing compound and then follow up with one of the above. But you will need the automotive polishing compound for the deeper scratches.

I've seen/read this in the tech books but haven't used it yet myself.

But note I said polishing compound not rubbing compound. Rubbing compound is grittier.

• Members

I've never had scratches bad enough to use compound, but I use car wax on all my guitars.

You may want to try a swirl remover first, and if that doesn't work go to something harsher like meguiars scratch x, and if that doesn't do it go to fine cut, then medium cut and stop there because if none of that works you're out of luck.

But If it's really dark and it's just spiderwebs that you have I'd probably try scratch x or swirl remover first.

• Members

DO NOT use Meguiar's Scratch-X. It contains silicone, which sticks to your finish but nothing sticks to it. So if you ever need to do touch ups or a refinish on your guitar the silicone will make your life harder.

There are other Meguiar's stuff that works outstandingly well, but it's the silicone free stuff from their professional line. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #9 is a gentle swirl mark remover used by professional auto paint shops for light scratch removal, and it is gentle enough to leave a lovely shine all on it's own. For a pure polish with no abrasives, Mirror Glaze #7. They have other levels of aggressiveness in other stuff, so if you want to try something harder you can find it.

As always, be careful. Some scratches are best left alone rather than removing surrounding finish to bring everything down to it's level. But the Meguiar's stuff works very well and is used by quite a few professional luthiers and small builders. It's fine for nitro and certainly for poly finishes, which are very tough. Most guitars under a grand these days are poly.

Here's what the bottles will look like, check at your local auto parts store. I'd try the #9 first, some of the other ones can get pretty aggressive.

Sorry for the big pic, it was all I could find with a quick google search.

kingoftheconcretejungle20050410163044psl

• Members

Read Mind Riots post - that's excellent info. (I personally use 3M products though) :thu:

Your first post says you have a few deep scratches - if you run your hand across it, will it lightly catch a finger nail? If so, it will need filled first before leveled back. Don't try to lower the surrounding finish.

Polishing is really only for light playing scratches, and finish "haze."

• Members

do you guys just use a regular guitar rag to buff the guitar?

That should work fine, but any really soft fabric that won't scratch will work. I would recommend picking up a yard of 100% cotton flannel at your local Wal Mart or wherever, it's about as soft as it gets and it's what most guitar polishing rags are made of anyway. Two bucks or so and you'll have enough to last you for years and years.

• Members

anyone try #1 or 2? is it safe?

I only have the #9, and it has removed pick scratches and scuffs just fine. I wouldn't use the harder stuff until you try the lighter stuff and it doesn't work. Remember, when you're buffing out scratches you are removing a small amount of finish, and the more aggressive compounds remove more. There's only so much there to work with.

• Members

Polishing compound yes. Rubbing compound no.

If you use rubbing compound, you will have more than a few scratches.

Meguiers makes a set of polishes for Fender.

Use those if you have any question or concern.

• Members

I have great results using "TurtleWax" brand polishing compound with a clean, damp piece of flannel on my lacquer finished guitars.

FWIW, I've never had the same results polishing out fine scratches or dull areas on a urethane-finished guitar.

• Members

I only have the #9, and it has removed pick scratches and scuffs just fine. I wouldn't use the harder stuff until you try the lighter stuff and it doesn't work. Remember, when you're buffing out scratches you are removing a small amount of finish, and the more aggressive compounds remove more. There's only so much there to work with.

Is the Mirror Glaze #9, what some folks are using to buff out the satin finish of their guitars (Fender Highway 1's, Gibson Faded series), with a heavy dose of elbow grease?

By the way, I'll confirm Mind Riot's comment about not using Scratch X due to its silicone content. I had used it on some of my guitars in the past but I no longer use it.

Archived