What did Jorma Kaukonen play on?

Loxley

• Members

I've noticed that Jorma Kaukonen played on something looking a lot like a Gibson ES-335 in Jefferson Airplane, but there were some features that were different, and I could never identify it. Does anyone know what he was playing on?

• Members

A custom Epi Riviera. They still offer it for sale.

ETJK.jpg

Now that's what I've seen for sale, but isn't it supposed to have a mahogany neck, not the maple one that they sell now? I'm starting to question the accuracy or if he ever really played a Riviera in Jefferson Airplane, or if it's just some newfangled marketing ploy to slap a famous guitarist's name on a guitar that looks like the one they played.

• Members

he used 335 and 345 and even a strat. no epi's tied into the jack cassiday bass model that he uses i suspect as well. sorta of shocked that jorma gets a sig guitar, love his playing but how many guitars will his name sell

• Members

I've noticed that Jorma Kaukonen played on something looking a lot like a Gibson ES-335 in Jefferson Airplane, but there were some features that were different, and I could never identify it. Does anyone know what he was playing on?

Speed and LSD?

• Members

He still has a pretty big following among acoustic players. A lot of people were big fans of "Hot Tuna". I sure was (still am).

He got the front cover picture and was the featured artist in the September 2005 issue of "Acoustic Guitar" magazine. According to that article, he still spends much of the year giving lessons and putting on weekend workshops.

It also states that he presently plays a Gibson J-190 Super Fusion with a built in single coil magnetic pickup and a Fishman undersaddle.

• Members
He still has a pretty big following among acoustic players. A lot of people were big fans of "Hot Tuna". I sure was (still am).

He got the front cover picture and was the featured artist in the September 2005 issue of "Acoustic Guitar" magazine. According to that article, he still spends much of the year giving lessons and putting on weekend workshops.

It also states that he presently plays a Gibson J-190 Super Fusion with a built in single coil magnetic pickup and a Fishman undersaddle.

HESITATION BLUES?

• Members

That was him --- Hot Tuna. The live 1969 self titled album has been one of my favorites since it came out (yes, I am old).

His last CD that I am aware of was from a couple of years ago and was called "Blue Country Heart". It is really more of a down-home style country/folk type blues that has banjos, etc. Not really my favorite type of thing.

But I would recommend that self titled "Hot Tuna" live album from 1969. He was a powerful acoustic blues player and worked really well together with that stand-up base of Jack Casady. There is also some exceptional harp playing from pretty much a walk-on performer; amazingly so when you think that he just winging it. Good album.

• Members

I was a big Hot Tuna fan when I was a kid. Jorma is a hell of a player. He's also a major gear hound. I remember some Hot Tuna shows where Jorma brought a whole gang of guitars. Really more than you would need to cover alternate tunings. I think he just likes guitars.

• Members

Jorma has been endorsing Epis for over 10 years now...but the guitar in this pic is definitely a Gibby...ES-345 if I'm not mistaken...

jorma.jpg

This is a Gibson ES-345 stereo guitar. He played these and other 345's in different colors as well. Also, they were having inlay work done to their guitars, which makes them look like a special custom model, but it was done in SF, Ca. during that time.

Archived