New tuners for a Peavey Predator

killerbeez

• Members

After giving my USA Predator a good going over, I think I need to replace the sketchy tuners on it. Anyone have a suggestion of ones that will fit with minimal modification? I wouldn't touch them at all, but the high e string will hold tune for about 3 strums as it currently is. Guitar Fetish looks to have some good alternatives, but I'm a novice on this type of repair.

• Members

Standard Answer #307: check the nut. The problem may have nothing to do with the stock tuners.

Having said that, I've installed GFS tuners on several guitars, and they work just fine. I'd say they do just as well as the Schallers, Grovers, and Gotoh's I've used.

• Members

Standard Answer #307: check the nut. The problem may have nothing to do with the stock tuners.

Having said that, I've installed GFS tuners on several guitars, and they work just fine. I'd say they do just as well as the Schallers, Grovers, and Gotoh's I've used.

Already did check the nut...has had a recent replacement. I have one tuner that moves if you breathe on it.....they have to go. Thanks for the input though. you can never discount the obvious.

• Members

With any guitar that has a fender-type tremolo, I'm a huge fan of locking tuners.

Peavey obviously agreed with me at one point, because when they replaced the USA Predator with the Korean Predator Pro, they added locking tuners.

• Members

Why will he HAVE to? They'll be either 8 or 10mm holes. If they're 8s then he gets tuners to fit, no reaming required

Link me to some 8mm tuners that are not the old stamped cover non-sealed kind please...I'd love to find some.

• Members

With any guitar that has a fender-type tremolo, I'm a huge fan of locking tuners.

Peavey obviously agreed with me at one point, because when they replaced the USA Predator with the Korean Predator Pro, they added locking tuners.

Is that right? the Koreans have the locking tuners?

• Members

Is that right? the Koreans have the locking tuners?

Yes it is, but that was a mistake when I called it the "Predator Pro". The actual name is "Predator Plus."

I've gotten so used to just writing "KPP" when discussing them, that I momentarily forgot what the second P stood for.

Anyway, yes. For some reason they usually came set up with strings wrapped around and around and around the posts, but the first time you do a string change (or look closely at the machines) it becomes obvious that they are locking tuners.

An awesome "fat strat" guitar. I didn't like the "EVH" style 3x3 head very much, but everything else about it totally outclassed any other guitar near the price. Fabulous neck, great sounding bridge pick-up...

It's too bad they discontinued them. I think it's partly because Peavey *still* doesn't have a reputation for making great guitars, and partly because the headstock looked so goofy.

I bought two when they were being clearanced out for less that $150 each. I still have one that I use as my "upstairs practice guitar."

• Members

The tuners on the Predator really are junk. Very low ratio and very sloppy gears.

I replaced mine with another cheap set of sealed tuners that I had laying around, but I did have to ream the holes to fit and there are exposed holes in the back of the headstock.

Archived