Anyone have a Jay Turser Thinline Tele?

thrashmetl

• Members

I was wondering how good the quality is on this guitar in particular. I played a Squier vintage modified Thinline and I loved it amazingly. The Turser is around the same price, but definitely sexier. I was wondering how they compared to the Squier if anyone has any idea????

• Members

I agree, definitely sexier than the Squier VM Thinlines. Too bad they don't have a maple necked model.

Nevertheless, I like the transparent, natural ash finished one.

I'd also be interested in hearing from people who've played the thinline models. Probably hit or miss like all their other models.

• Members

Here's some photos of the Turser 'Cruiser' I had a couple of years ago.

Nice looking guitar for about $200, although I too would have much prefered a classic maple fretboard, and had intended to have a Fender-spec replacement neck put on it, which should fit the pocket according to the guitar tech I had measure it at the time.

I didn't think it had much in the way of traditional tele 'twang', and was going to swap out the pickups for some genuine articles, but ended up selling the guitar before that happened.

The finish was pretty good, though the guitar had a nice top, the sides and back are very close grained wood of some kind, not unpleasant, just plain, looks kind of like basswood though I'm sure it's something a bit harder. There is cream binding on the top and 'F' hole only, and the pickguard is a kind of strange see-thru, dark smoke plastic.

I will likely get another, and upgrade it with some better components, as it would make a great base to build a pretty good 'thinline' replica from, though mine was an ok guitar 'as is' considering the low initial cost. I bought mine from Musicland Central on ebay, they're a good seller for the Jay Turser line.

SHINYANGLECRUISER-1.jpg

EBAYCRUISER1.jpg

CRUISERBODY1.jpg

Willieandthinlineclone.jpg

• Members

Thanks John for posting that.

First time seeing a non ebay ad photo.

Any reason why you would consider buying another one after you sold the first one?

I was considering getting one to mod too but if you add the neck and pick up costs to the original $200 starting point, you start approaching Fender MIM thinline territory.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

• Members

Thanks John for posting that.

First time seeing a non ebay ad photo.

Any reason why you would consider buying another one after you sold the first one?

I was considering getting one to mod too but if you add the neck and pick up costs to the original $200 starting point, you start approaching Fender MIM thinline territory.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

I've 'bought back' a few of the inexpensive guitars that I sold and then regretted, that Turser was just one of them. Sometimes, after having a guitar for a while, I just get bored with it and might dump it to fund something different. My modded MIM standard Fender telecaster is the only guitar I've kept for more than a few years, and intend to never sell. But I've never really had any professional-grade guitars either, other than a Taylor 315CE I had for a while, and I'd likely tend to hang on to the 'better stuff' more than the cheapos I buy and sell frequently.

At the time, I already had a spare MIM tele neck that I had taken off my MIM standard when I replaced it with a 'vintage' Allparts neck, and the standard's pickups too, as I had upgraded my solid tele's with a pair of Seymour Duncans, but then! I also bought a nice Ash Fender telecaster body from ebay and was going to use the parts to build another....then, in a period of obvious insanity, I lost interest in both projects and just basically purged all the stuff on ebay.

Ya, it probably makes little economic sense to put what might be too much into the Turser, a guy might still be able to scrounge the parts needed used, and not come out too bad.

I wonder how good the Dillion 'thinline' is?

• Members

I've looked at getting one of those many times in the past, but the rosewood fretboard always stopped me. If I were going to get one with a rosewood board, as much as I like the natural wood the Turser offers, I would probably go with the Squier, I think the Squiers are better than Tursers, but that's just my opinion.

• Members

I wonder how good the Dillion 'thinline' is?

I have a Dillion thinline, except it's not a copy 69 style like the Turser, the Dillion's a 72 style. It's a very nice guitar, I love it, but they are pricier than the Tursers. Mine is like new, but used, I got it for 250. shipped I think it was, they have a natural one which usually seems to go higher when one comes available.

dillion9.jpg

Archived