Ibanez ART100 poor man's Les Paul?

Twebbz

• Members

You'll probably be fine with that model. The scale length, pickups, and bridge type are all the same. It doesn't have the maple top that most LP-style guitars have; I don't think it makes much of a difference, but some people do. However, I'd check out Rondo or GFS to see if they have anything that might work for you. They generally offer a better bang for the buck than similarly priced models by major manufacturers.

Problem with threads like these is, the Gibsonoids get in and start saying shit like "YOU CAN ONLY GET REEEEL LP TONE WITH A REEEEL LP," and then the people who like to bash Gibson come in and say shit like "YA BUT THE CONTROL KNOBS ARE MOUNTED CROOKED" and then someone suggests you buy a Hamer/PRS/Carvin, and then GCDEF comes in and says "I had a really bad experience with Carvin." And then I have a fucking meltdown because this forum is spiraling into a black hole of ignorance and lemmingism.

• Members

Wondering if you can get the Les Paul tone out of the Ibanez ART100....

Gibson Les Paul necks are just too fat for me.

Gibson offers different necks, so you could try different ones.

The LP tone is a bit subjective. You can play 5 LPs or choose 5 songs that use LPs and get 5 different tones. Do you have any examples of the tones your after?

In the past few months I played a Vintage Mahogany, a Standard Faded, and a Classic Antique. All had Burstbucker Pros and all sounded different.

You may want to check out artists who use the ART100. Maybe they have samples on their site. Or maybe you can try one from your local dealer.

Also consider that not all LPs are that expensive. A few months ago Guitar Center had the Vintage Mahogany for $540, and this price included the case. Whether it's worth it or not is up to the individual :)

• Members

I've got small hands and even the LP 60's slim neck is too fat. My Ibanez RGA121 with it's Wizard neck is great but it has more of an SG sound. Sure, I'll check out an ART100 but I'm not sure if i'll be able determine the real tone in the store.

• Members

Wondering if you can get the Les Paul tone out of the Ibanez ART100....

Gibson Les Paul necks are just too fat for me.

I think if you droped some Burstbuckers in that Ibanez it would kick some serious ass!

• Members

I've got small hands and even the LP 60's slim neck is too fat. My Ibanez RGA121 with it's Wizard neck is great but it has more of an SG sound. Sure, I'll check out an ART100 but I'm not sure if i'll be able determine the real tone in the store.

Honestly? I say that because I went from a lollipop stick/Wizard neck to a slim taper/60s Gibson neck, years ago with little problem. I have small hands too.

I suggest you owe it to yourself to play some 60s necks a little more. If you can get around an acoustic a gibson neck will be no prob, but, if you can't use a Gibson neck, you will struggle badly with the big necks of most acoustic guitars.

Just my take on it.

• Members

So if one were to change the pickups in the Ibanez ART100 to get it sounding in the direction of a Les Paul, which would you recommend? Seymour Duncans?

I put Duncan '59s(SH-1) in my Les Paul 4-5 months back. I love 'em!:thu:

I like pretty standard output pickups, not the JB or the Super Distortion, etc. That way the amp does most of the overdriving and not the pickup. Just my $ .02!

• Members

I played an ART300 at GC and it played and felt very comfortable. It had the weird layered finish, but everything else was equal to an Epi. The Koa top ART400 looks very nice. Plop a SD 59/JB combo or maybe the Alnico II's.

P

• Members

I reciently played an ART100 and honestly think it is one of the nicest single-cut HB guitars on the market in that price range. Different enough so as not to be just another LP knock-off. It played nice, sounded great, and the fit and finish was flawless. As for getting an exact "LP tone"... I'll bet it would come dangerously close. I only played it clean, so don't know how it would do overdriven.

• Members

But, is the ART100 neck thinner than either the Agile "slim" or Gibson 60s necks? It's impossible to find the numbers for the Ibanez or Gibson.

The Agile AL-3000 "slim" neck it 17mm thick at the first fret, 21mm at the 12th.

• Members

The Agile numbers are off. I had a slim neck AL-3000 and it was 19mm at first fret and 21mm at 12th. Also it was 10 lbs. and butt heavy so I could not play well seated. Returned it.

I am looking to get a AD-2300 slim neck which is 7 lbs. and a double cut.

I think the ART100 is 20 mm at 1st fret and around 22 at 12th. Not quite as thin as an RG.

• Members

Yea, I went to GC and played an ART100 and the neck is on the fat side, not your typical RG thin. It was comfortable to play nonetheless, me being used to an RGA Prestige neck. I compared it to an Epiphone Les Paul and I have to say the Les Paul tone is not there. It does not have the depth and richness of the Epiphone, still a fine guitar with nice fatish tone and worthy of an audition. The Agile AL-3000 seems to be a good bet.

Archived