What's that instrument on 'Get Down Tonight'?

Super 8

• Members

Nobody ever gives KC and the Sunshine Band any props. It's hard for me to hear one of their tunes and on start tapping my foot. And that's what those songs were for....they were funky and they were fun.

Get Down Tonight came on the other day and I was reminded of that solo instrument that kicks the song off. When I was a kid, I assumed it was a guitar. It bends like a guitar, but after listening to it, it doesn't sound like a guitar. I wondered if it was maybe a clavinet? KC played a clav didn't he? But you can't do bends on those, can you?

It's a damn cool solo, but I cannot figure out what instrument it is. Anybody know?

• Members

I thought it was guitar. Tracks recorded, recorder was then set from 30ips to 15ips, guitar part overdubbed. Then reset back to 30ips to knock the guitar up high and fast at playback. That's the way I always heard the story.

• Members

I know exactly the sonority to which you refer! I've long wondered what it was, too. I kinda thought it was some kind of synth patch with a very sharp Attack and very little Sustain and Decay... But I can't be sure.

Yeah, that sonority is part-and-parcel of what makes that a memorable dance record. (Or roller-skating record, as I recall it!).

It sure meets up with Phil Spector's criterion of a pop record that one should create a sound that no-one else can duplicate (or even identify, as the case may be...).

• Members

It is a clav...synths were not that defined back then.

you can do bends on a clav if you know what you're doing.

A clav is basically a guitar played like a piano (an amplified string instrument with pickups where the strings are struck with hammer-like parts.

• Members

Oh... I thought we were talking about the Sunshine Company...

I listened to the first 30 seconds or so... I think I'd always assumed it was a guitar but I can see how it could be a clav (sped up, of course).

I'm afraid I'm among those who could never quite see the charms of KC & pals... the tune sent shudders of recognition up my spine as it unfolded. I had to hit the skip button and go back to my program of Dillards, Dillard & Clark, and Sons of the Pioneers.

I love funk. I never much warmed up to disco. It's like you take everything that's good about funky dance music -- including all the funk -- and remove it and then what you have left over is... well... what we got for those 4 or 5 years.

• Members

That's a guitar, recorded slow & speeded up again for playback. Of course, to do it live you'd have to use a synth - but the story goes that they did it with a guitar in the studio, and if you listen to the phrasing that's really what it sounds like.

• Members

The more I think about it the less I believe it's a guitar. I actually think the phrasings sound like something you'd do on a keyboard. But I'm not settled on it by any means. I'm interested in the different thoughts I'm reading.

I love funk. I never much warmed up to disco. It's like you take everything that's good about funky dance music -- including all the funk -- and
remove it
and then what you have left over is... well... what we got for those 4 or 5 years.

I've got a love/hate thing with disco. It's taken me a couple of decades to be able to admit to that. There really was a lot of crap disco. All I have to do is listen to Chrome on XM to be reminded of that. But it also gave us Brothers Johnson, Rick James, Chic....a bunch of good stuff. It wasn't all Village People and Sylvester.

I'm to a point where I can no longer deny that I like this stuff and be honest. And I think KC kept a tight groove. It had no special meaning. The lyrics are just filler to keep the song from being an instrumental. But, those songs felt good. They were meant to be fun and be danced to, and I think they had that down in spades.

• Members

Of course it just dawned on me to look at the official worldwide boogie beat disco beatin kc & the sunshine band website---

..........."Recalling the evening he laid down the vocal track for "Get Down Tonight", Casey said, "I couldn't believe it, it was such an incredible sound. I remember they must've played it back a hundred times and I just couldn't believe it". What gives the track its distinctive sound (aside from its thunderous rhythm section) is the electronically speeded-up guitar throughout, making it sound like no record before or since...."

......."It is a guitar we slowed the tape down ... good luck with your band and your musi however it cna be played on a keyboard as that is what we use in concert......Thanks for asking have a great day KC...."

• Members

......is the electronically speeded-up guitar throughout, making it sound like no record before or since...."

......."It is a guitar we slowed the tape down ...

Oh crap! I'm wrong again. Will there ever be a rainbow????:(

• Members

Jim Cox, here in LA, has an old Clavinet. I worked with him a few weeks ago and I asked him what the big kickstand looking piece of metal was sticking out the top. He said it was the modulation bar, one of only a handful that were manufactured, and he played a couple of licks with it. I remarked how cool it sounded and looked. He agreed, but said that, unfortunately, the Prophet came out a few weeks later with a mod wheel. The rest is history.

Pretty funny.

Steve

• Members

I've got a love/hate thing with disco. It's taken me a couple of decades to be able to admit to that. There really was a
lot
of crap disco. All I have to do is listen to Chrome on XM to be reminded of that. But it also gave us Brothers Johnson, Rick James, Chic....a bunch of good stuff. It wasn't all Village People and Sylvester.

KC once said in an interview that he was irritated by the fact that they slapped a label (disco) onto what was really Rhythm & Blues. He always felt that Rhythm & Blues is what he played, and what should've gotten the credit.

I always think of disco as that four-on-the-floor beat with the ever-present hi-hat, and the octave bass line that became so cliche. KC and the Sunshine Band's rhythms were always a little more creative than that (at least what I heard of them). Same with the Bee Gees. They were making danceable music that was club-friendly, and because of the time (and thanks to "Saturday Night Fever"), was lumped in with "disco". But their tracks were actually very unique, and sounded unlike anything else at the time. Unfortunately, when "disco" went down, they went down with it, which was a bit of a shame, 'cause they made some good records.

• Members

Yup, it's a sped-up guitar. Those of us oldsters who remember analog tape (and used to play around with speeds) can recognize the sound instantly.

Actually, the fact that they used that effect is IMO one of the only redeeming qualities of that song...the fact that they had a little fun and played around with studio tricks.

Sorry...just not a disco guy.

BTW...there's a Beatles song that uses the exact opposite effect...the guitar was recorded fast and played back at a lower speed. The song was "Rain".

• Members

I've got a love/hate thing with disco. It's taken me a couple of decades to be able to admit to that. There really was a
lot
of crap disco. All I have to do is listen to Chrome on XM to be reminded of that. But it also gave us Brothers Johnson, Rick James, Chic....a bunch of good stuff. It wasn't all Village People and Sylvester.

On the other hand, Sylvester's version of the Bacharach/Bayer Sager ballad "I Took My Strength From You (I Had None)" is just bril.

Some real gems came out of the disco era. Bummer the way radio overplay gave "Funkytown" by Lipps, Inc. a bad name. Some kewl things are going on in that record.

• Members

Some real gems came out of the disco era.

Word. I was always fond of "Boogie Nights". Still have the 45 somewhere. Years ago, it got cracked in a straight line, from edge to center, but I managed to snap it back in place; it plays, albeit with the annoying, inevitable POP.

Archived