kinds of sandpaper for fret leveling?

newcomer

• Members

I'm finally gonna give a shot at leveling some frets. I have an old neck to try first so I won't screw up anything I really care about.

My question for the fellows on here who do this stuff is what kind of sand paper and where to get it from, should i use. I'm looking at the stewmac stuff but there are quite a few options. so any help would be appreciated.

I should mention I'm going to use a carpenter level to do the leveling with I think. Thanks.

• Members

I start with a flat file... mark all the frets with a magic marker and lightly run the file along to knock off the high points. You may need to repeat a couple of times. Before I go to sandpaper I crown them (crowning file) and dress the edges with cheap little hobby file. Then I move to 400 grit sandpaper... just ordinary stuff that you can get anywhere. Finish off with 600-800 grit or very fine steel wool to polish. If you use steel wool, be sure to tape off your pickups or you'll have a mess.

• Members

I had a sheet of 220 and 400 grit sandpaper. I found a flat scrap piece of plywood about as long as the neck and 2 inches wide that I made sure was straight with a good straight edge and used some double sided tape to stick a strip of each sandpaper on each side (I needed to use 2 strips). It worked great the 2 times I've used it with no problems.

• Members

I bought a sharpening stone for the last few jobs I did and it worked really well. I got the idea from some video of one of those high speed techs using one. I went cheap so it is starting to show some wear and I don't trust it as much, but I do plan on getting one of those diamond sharpeners. Stew Mac sells them for like $40-60 I think and I am going to do some shopping around. Its a nice big chunk of metal and the diamond shouldn't wear out.

Archived