Gibson Les Paul Studio Vs. Les Paul Custom shop

swanusa

• Members

Which custom shop?

In general, though:

- Studios are all mahogany whereas Custom Shops would be mahogany with very high quality maple caps.

- Pickups: Studios use 490R and 498T pickups, custom shops are all over the board.

- Neck joint: Studios are short-tenon, CS would be long-tenon usually.

Buncha other stuff too, I'm sure, but those are the main ones that come to mind. People seem to go bat{censored} over that neck tenon thing though. And honestly, and I don't intend this in a condescending tone, if you have to ask the differences, you probably won't notice or care when you're playing beyond the pickups (which you can swap) and maple cap (which tends to brighten the tone a hair). Studios are nice quality guitars that'll do you well.

• Members

As Schtang said. Studios typically have a maple cap. However, one difference, regardless which custom shop model you are talking about, is that they are built in different factories, by different people. Many people on this board will be able to point out a variety of difference between a regular Gibson USA Studio and a particular model of custom shop Les Paul, but do not expect these numbers to add up and explain why one is so much more expensive. This is not how it works and there have been numerous discussions here that need not to be repeated ... so having stated that ... which Les Paul model would you be interested in?

• Members

I am talking about this one. Is this that much better than the les paul studio? 2000+ dollars more!

Play them both, and decide for yourself. 'Better' is a very subjective term, since there can be significant difference in sound and playability between two different guitars of the same model, much less between models as different as the Studio and the Custom.

Seriously, until you've played the specific guitars you're looking at purchasing, you won't know the difference - nobody on an internet board can tell you......

• Members

343874.jpg

Of course it is visually a completely different affair than a studio. In that sense it is like a piece of art - as has been said, it has all the trimmings, these things not only look nice (the binding for example) but take time to build. But this does not mean that it will automatically translate to sounding or playing better.

I think most people would agree that the custom is a stunning guitar and this is how people will react. Like a cool car that might do the same thing another car some thousand Dollars less will do. Just that the cheaper one does not have the cool.

I would also suggest playing it. And playing others. If this guitar screams at you. If you bond with it. And if you have the cash anf can afford it, go for it. Otherwise you might find a studio (or standard for that matter) that might be your guitar for life ...

• Members

The numbers don't add up. It's all about the marketing mix, and the Custom Shop caters to an elite group of consumers who can spend $3000+ on a luxury item.

The rich are different from you and me (well, at least me). A lot of the features that you find on Custom Shop Gibsons are there for bragging rights. "This Les Paul hanging on my wall has the exact same plastic ring around the output jack as the originals." C'mon. We're talking about a 12 cent part that, until the late 90's, nobody gave a {censored} about.

The biggest difference between my Custom Shop Les Pauls and my regular Les Pauls is the weight of the mahogany.

• Members

I am talking about this one. Is this that much better than the les paul studio? 2000+ dollars more!

Indeed better is subjective, marketing plays a considerable role, and you really have to play each guitar and compare them.

When I played a Studio, a Standard, and a Custom, the best of the 3 was the Studio, which was also the cheapest. But that does not mean that all Studios are better. That particular one was, and that particular Standard and Custom were not that good.

Yesterday I posted about a Standard Faded selling for $1250, brand new. It's this model:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Faded-50s-Neck?sku=517523

Although the price was attractive, I did not buy it for two reasons:

1. I won't buy a Gibson without playing it first, unless the price is ridiculously low and I love the particular model. I have bought many other guitars without playing them first, such as Hamer, Baker, Yamaha, Melancon, etc., and will continue to do so. Gibson is an exception.

2. There are many great alternatives in that price range.

Binding, inlays, fancy tops, etc., all have an effect on price. All other things being equal, you can save a lot of money with a plain looking guitar, and it can still play and sound great.

• Members

What are the main differences between these 2 models? One is for about 1300 and the other one is for 3400. Almost 3 times more!

I am new to electric guitars, you can tell. :-)

The major difference would be in Gibson's and the dealer's gross profit. What would you get out of a Custom model? Well, better appearance, perhaps. I have an LP Studio that I bought for $600 brand new several years ago. It doesn't play or sound any different than other LP's but it cost less and looks plainer (nicer than many in my opinion thanks to the white finish and gold hardware.)

If you are new to guitars and like the Les Paul, I would suggest you look at the imported Epiphones. Trust me, a beginner won't know the difference. Or, if you want to spend more and want to buy American, you should look at the Studio model like mine which now sells for about twice what I paid for mine. The Les Paul Studio is truly a great electric guitar.

• Members

What are the main differences between these 2 models? One is for about 1300 and the other one is for 3400. Almost 3 times more!

I am new to electric guitars, you can tell. :-)

The main dif' are their specs'. Generally speaking the Custom shops are made as close to the original spec's as possible**. The non-custom shop guitars are made to modern specs'.

** or as close to them as Gibson wants to make em' one might say.

• Members

The numbers don't add up. It's all about the marketing mix, and the Custom Shop caters to an elite group of consumers who can spend $3000+ on a luxury item.

The rich are different from you and me (well, at least me). A lot of the features that you find on Custom Shop Gibsons are there for bragging rights. "This Les Paul hanging on my wall has the exact same plastic ring around the output jack as the originals." C'mon. We're talking about a 12 cent part that, until the late 90's, nobody gave a {censored} about.

The biggest difference between my Custom Shop Les Pauls and my regular Les Pauls is the weight of the mahogany.

This is true and is very much about how you perceive 'quality'. A few microns of gold plate and some neck and body binding may look more expensive and classy but in reality it is all so much bling which brings nothing to the party in terms of the guitar as a musical instrument.

• Members

I would agree with a lot of the info posted if we were talking about the "swiss cheese" model LP's. These days though the "standard" line is so gutted out that I wonder how they can still call them solid body guitars. It's more than just marketing ,cosmetics,etc. A huge "gap" has been created spec' wise when comparing the newer model custom shops to the "standard" line.

These days one of the few things they seem to have in common is the shape.

• Members

Frightening avatar aside, this man speaks the truth.

• Members

Which custom shop?

In general, though:

- Studios are all mahogany whereas Custom Shops would be mahogany with very high quality maple caps.

- Pickups: Studios use 490R and 498T pickups, custom shops are all over the board.

- Neck joint: Studios are short-tenon, CS would be long-tenon usually.

Buncha other stuff too, I'm sure, but those are the main ones that come to mind. People seem to go bat{censored} over that neck tenon thing though. And honestly, and I don't intend this in a condescending tone, if you have to ask the differences, you probably won't notice or care when you're playing beyond the pickups (which you can swap) and maple cap (which tends to brighten the tone a hair). Studios are nice quality guitars that'll do you well.

im going bat {censored} for an Epi slash Les Paul cause of that neck tenon!

Archived