Which has better sound-Epi Dot or Ibanez AS73???

BigDaddyMojo

• Members

My Ibanez is an AG75. It's quite a bit differennt since it's a small sized full hollow body so I won't try to compare it to the AS73. I can tell you that I've read posts on the internet from people who own both and prefer the Ibanez. There is no question that the Ibanez AS73 has better fit and finish than the Dot - way better. Tone? That's up to you. I've played them both and they both sound fine to me. A little different from each other but good. I like the Ibanez tone slightly better myself. If you want an Epiphone look at the Sheraton. That is really an exceptional guitar for its price. If I were in your shopping shoes, I would go straight there and not even look at the other two.

• Members

Epis and Artcores are great guitars but after havng owned examples of both, I lean heavily towards the Epiphones (Sheraton... the one in my avatar).

Since both these mid priced guitars can and do vary a lot from one to another (of the same brand and model), being able to play before buying is a major consideration.

Also, although the Artcores are definetly "prettier" I think Epiphones (Sheraton again) turn out better when modded and improved, that's been my personal experience.

A lot of my personal preference is due to the neck on Epiphones which I find more comfortable than the Ibanez. Also, I think Epis "resonate" better.

You may want to also consider the Hagstrom 335 clone (Viking). I have yet to try one out but did buy a Hagstrom Deluxe F. If mine is indicative of the new line of Hagstrom guitars, the Viking should be killer.

• Members

If you want a nice example of a MIK Epi Dot, I have one up for sale.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1959697

I haven't played the Ibanez AS-73 but I have owned a Washburn HB30 and can compare the two. There's variability in the necks and it was the reason why I switched to the Dot.

They both felt really solid but I found the Dot to have better fit and finish than the Washburn.

I don't know if popularity is a good indicator of quality or not but it seems that there are more Dot owners than AS73 owners (that could be a good or a bad thing :D).

• Members

I LOVE the tone I get with my DOTs and they're completely stock (exept for the knobs).

Here's an example........ I really enjoy the tone I get in this clip.

I'm playing through my Marshall DSL 100 and 2x12 Lopoline cab with Celestion Vintage 30s:

[YOUTUBE]ogk9y9_gPMQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I have an AS73, and I played a lot of Epi's and other 335-types before getting it. I also owned an older (mid 90's) Dot a few years back. The AS73 is priced between the Dot and Studio. (Electric Blues mentioned Sheraton... very nice, but twice the price of the AS73) Overall I think the AS is a better value. If I was to run stock PUPs I'd probably give the nod to the Epi. I think the Ibanez also has more consistent quality than Epi, but I think Epi's have improved. The Studio has to be one of the best bargains out there at $200.

• Members

Hmmmm... Washburn HB35 should be considered too. That's a good guitar.

Has anyone here played one of the Hagstrom Vikings? I'd love to hear from someone with firsthand experience. I'm really interested in the Viking II model (it's the one with the Fender looking headstock). From what I understand it's a hollow instead of semi and comes in versions with HBs and P90s. I could really go for a P90 one.

• Members

When searching for a budget semi-hollow, my choice narrowed down to these two as well.

I thought they were just about even in terms of playability and sound.

I ended up with the Ibanez simply because I like the look of it better, despite the butt-ugly neck joint....I found one with the most incredible wood grain visible beneath the red finish.

• Members

I own a MIK Dot and an Ibanez AF75 and, although I love'em both I have to admit that the stock electronics in the Dot were garbage. I've changed all the electronics in her now including the pickups, only the tone pots are original and they won't be in her for much longer. So, bottom line, I've put an extra $300 in her. Mind you, she sounds fantastic now, but I'd look at the Dot as a "fix-er-upper". The Ibanez, on the other hand, had great electronics. I didn't have to do a thing with her except switch out the plastic nut for bone. Oh, yeah, and the Ibanez cost $330. About the same as what I paid in upgrading the Dot. So for bang per buck I'd recommend Ibanez, IMHO.

• Members

I'd say both are really fixer uppers to get the best out of them but that's just me, it's hard to keep ANYTHING stock!

On the other hand, many folks are perfectly happy with the stock product, including pickups so it's just personal taste.

I guess I vouch so much for modding since my Sheraton turned out so well. For something that started out as a mid priced guitar and that I dropped an extra $300 into in mods, it plays and sounds WAY above what the total money invested would indicate. In short, it's simply the best semihollow I've ever played ever... bar none.

Honestly, I'm not saying that because it's my guitar or a honeymoon phase... that's long past. I had higher priced semihollow guitars; a Gibson CS356 and Yamaha AES1500 that I ended up selling because the Sheraton just blew them away, I'm not against having a lot of guitars but I never have more than one of the same basic type.

I think the construction quality on the Ibanez is excellent but I can't get over the necks. I like the width but think thay lack girth. Again, that's just a personal preference.

Although I don't have personal experience with the Dot, I believe it's just a Sheraton with less bling? Anyway, there are a few guitars out there, besides the Epiphones and Artcores that in my opinion will get you into 335 territory on the cheap.

The Washburn HB35 and Hamer Ecotone come to mind as good options too. I'd venture to say the Hagstrom Viking would be a good choice, although I've never played one, as I mentioned before.

My only real issue with semihollows, be they expensive or cheap... never buy one you haven't tried out. They vary too much. I've play a bunch of Sheratons for example and no two were ever the same.

Archived