Anybody going to Kerrvlle?

• Members

I've been a few times years ago. It is rather primitive camping. I don't think it has changed much. Folks show up early to get a nice campsite, otherwise you will be pitching your tent on a hill. It is usually very hot and humid in the day and cold at night. If you are camping it is the rainy time too so most likely everything you bring will get soaking wet if you aren't well prepared. The 2 showers have cold running water only. Bring your own food. There are some rules regarding cups, trash and such but check out their website for their specifics.

At night, after the shows are over, the campfires start and one year I went we jammed around a campfire with the likes of Gary P. Nunn and Steven Fromholz and Shake Russell.

• Members

Kerrville is only 30miles away from me... I used to play there in the earliest days of the Festival.... the late-1970's! I accompanied the folk singer/songwriter James Durst, on my Fender-Rhodes 78 Stage piano. In those days it was pretty much "stoned hippies standing around in the mud". I don't know if it's different now. I know that Paul Stookey and Peter Yarrow of PP&M fame are real mavens there and hold court at times. Judy Collins, too. When I played there, the names were not "big ones" at all.

• Members

Thanks for all your replies. Sean, I like your friend's songs. Reminds me of Dolly Parton among others. Dolly's underappreciated as a songwriter.

Jamsession and Rasputin, I have friends from Austin who work the festival every year and have a permanent RV spot, so I can stay with them. Thanks, though, for helping me get pumped for this. I love to jam. I'm having some travel anxiety as I often do, but this is something I've wanted to do since the seventies, it's just a long way away and I could rarely get vacation around any holiday.

Dean, thanks for the link. We're thinking about building a house made by an Asheville company, Deltec. Check them out.

And Phil, I'll check out your colleague- link didn't work the first time, but that was probably on my end. Your recommendation is golden. If I ever get my Duke to Dak tour put together, and I make it to Cali., lunch is on me.

I almost moved to Austin in 1979. It's a road not taken that I still think about.

I wanted to get into the songwriters' or blues/roots guitar workshops, but family events are keeping me home for the first part of that first week. I did sign up for the harmonica seminars in the second week.

• Members

If this keeps up Medina Lake might actually have water in it again.

I see you're from around here!

[soapbox=rant] We have so many rich yuppies moving up to the Texas Hill Country (Boerne, Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Blanco) and building their palatial homes and sprawling golf courses everywhere... but nobody's thinking too much about how these will imapct the local water table.... sucking away all that pristine limestone spring-fed water. Appalling greed in Texas and too few dissenting voices to the encroachment of the nouveau-riche. [/soapbox].

• Members

Back to California? :freak:

or to China or Brazil... everyone says they're the wave of the future, because their whole energy/communications/urban development infrastructure is necessarily new, potentially newer than that of the "developed countries". :idea:

Archived