Johnny Thunders tone

LvVein

• Members

I read somewhere he mainly used p90 LP jr's or Specials straight into blackface twin reverbs... Is that all I need for that sound? that simple? I always thought twins were clean amps? I want that huge wailing sound like how he does on subway train :love:

I tried finding clips of twins on youtube but I see nothing but blues wanking... nothing wrong with blues but can this amp really get that sound Im looking for?

• Members

Regarding Johnny's amps: see:
http://www.thunders.ca/stuff/guitar2.htm

Main site:
http://www.thunders.ca/

There is no doubt that Johnny during the Dolls and post-Dolls routinely changed his amp models.

ahhh yes thats where I remember seeing the bit about fender twins... but then I see the marshall stacks in the vid and he definitely has that tone going on. hmmm.. :confused:

• Members

dude, johnny played whatever would make it to the gig - plug any guitar with p90s into any tube amp, crank it up and beat the living hell out of it and you'll be as close as you can get.

i assure you that's about all the thought he put into it.

• Members

why would you expect johnny thunders' tone to be complicated?

I dunno :lol: Ive been hanging out here too much... Im gonna need a real beat up 50's LP jr or itll never sound anything like it :cry:

• Members

dude, johnny played whatever would make it to the gig - plug any guitar with p90s into any tube amp, crank it up and beat the living hell out of it and you'll be as close as you can get.

i assure you that's about all the thought he put into it.

sounds like solid advice :thu:

• Members

as stated above, a P-90 guitar into a good tube amp and you're good to go.

and it always boils down to the archer not the arrow; one man, one guitar and one pickup!

in this video, looks like JT is plugged into an Orange head and 2 cabs:

New York Dolls - Looking for a Kiss

[YOUTUBE]bhBzaxeQ5iI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I don't know man, I saw him with the Dolls, The Heartbreakers, Gang Warfare, rent gigs, even bull {censored}ted with him a couple times...and he always had his sound.

My advice, get a single pick-up guitar, crank it until it distorts, and practice Pipeline. Marshalls are nice but not necessary. I used to get a pretty good approximation with my 55 LP JR, mini-humbucker, in place of the p90, and a Fender amp.

By the way, I have seen him many times bring a string up to pitch, took about 2 seconds and if he wasn't ranting and cursing the audience it would be straight into the next song. To me I didn't think it was that he was out of tune (which did happen) but more that he didn't give a {censored} if he hit a wrong note.

Oh, and as you play, keep thinking to yourself: "{censored} 'em all"

• Members

My band opened for Johnny Thunder's and Wayne Kramer's Gangwar for a lot of gigs back around 1980. From what I could remember Thunders would use his P-90 TV Yellow double cut into a Fender combo. One time he told me he just turns the volume and midrange to 10.

• Members

I don't know man, I saw him with the Dolls, The Heartbreakers, Gang Warfare, rent gigs, even bull {censored}ted with him a couple times...and he always had his sound.

My advice, get a single pick-up guitar, crank it until it distorts, and practice Pipeline. Marshalls are nice but not necessary. I used to get a pretty good approximation with my 55 LP JR, mini-humbucker, in place of the p90, and a Fender amp.

By the way, I have seen him many times bring a string up to pitch, took about 2 seconds and if he wasn't ranting and cursing the audience it would be straight into the next song. To me I didn't think it was that he was out of tune (which did happen) but more that he didn't give a {censored} if he hit a wrong note.

Oh, and as you play, keep thinking to yourself: "{censored} 'em all"

thank you sir! interesting reply!

well, I already have a LP special (w/ p90's of course) but Im looking for a new amp and yeah JT is one of my greatest influences... funny you mention pipeline. This is the clip that made me say "I NEED that sound!" right around 3:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4qpbcNa0PI

so for those wails... a jcm800? blackface fender on 11?

• Members

My band opened for Johnny Thunder's and Wayne Kramer's Gangwar for a lot of gigs back around 1980. From what I could remember Thunders would use his P-90 TV Yellow double cut into a Fender combo. One time he told me he just turns the volume and midrange to 10.

man, I would choke somebody to see that... too bad I was in kindergarden when he died... I envy you!

• Members

Great thread, JT is my favourite guitarist and songwriter. I heard that he used a treble booster and mostly fender amps on 10. When he was in Europe and Japan he plugged into whatever amp available.

hc

Archived