Sign in to follow this  
Jigowatt

Roller Bridge For Tele w/ Bigsby?

I'm looking for a drop-in replacement roller bridge for my tele w/ a bigsby. Is there one out there or will some modifications be neccessary? I have a Jaguar bridge in there now, which was an improvement over the POS rattletrap that was originally in there. I've seen the Schaller roller bridge but I am unsure if it's what I need, and I think it's says it's a 14" radius. Can anyone point me in the right direction? :idk:

Personally ,I'm no roller bridge fan,too many small parts and a bit complicated to adjust.

I don't know if there would be some modifications,but I think there would be some spare screw holes after the replacement.

I am willing to deal with that if it will help keep it in tune. I just looked at the bigsby really hard and it went out of tune. :cry:

Why not try T.O.M bridge with string though body?Are you sure the tuners are OK?

I had a intonation problem with the roller bridge,the 6th string roller's screw sit right on the screw below it,when play a note on 6th string,it has a buzz.If I adjust the bridge to avoid the contact of the 2 screws, the guitar goes a little bit out of tone.But the situation varies from one guitar to another,mine was typical.

or, Wilkinson makes this one:

wsbrol.jpg

They probably have something for a flat top too.

I'm just not seeing any made for a flat top. The problem with the wilkinson roller is that the post spacing doesn't exactly match mine, and I'm pretty sure those locking LP style posts wont fit mine either.

I'm looking for a drop-in replacement roller bridge for my tele w/ a bigsby. Is there one out there or will some modifications be neccessary? I have a Jaguar bridge in there now, which was an improvement over the POS rattletrap that was originally in there. I've seen the Schaller roller bridge but I am unsure if it's what I need, and I think it's says it's a 14" radius. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
:idk:

Can you take a picture of your bridge setup? Let's have a look at what we are dealing with.

Here is a tip too.

Next time you change strings (and everytime) get a sharp pencil. Get some of that graphite into the nut slots however you can.

This helps my SG stay in tune significantly.

I own a Fender CIJ "50's Tele with Bigsby". I had problems with tuning after using the Bigsby. The solution I found (which worked perfectly) was to install Graphtech saddles. You need to get the ones made for a "Jaguar" style bridge, because the bridge on the Tele *is* a Jaguar style bridge.

Heres a pic of it.

That's a Mustang bridge, not a Jaguar bridge. You've now got deeper saddles than the threaded Jag/Jazzmaster saddle'd version, and don't have to bother messing about with fitting bridge pins into the body for the sake of a new bridge, so I'd just lube the grooves with nut sauce and enjoy~

Of course I'm curious to ask...Do you just want roller bridge, or are you simply dissatisfied with the Mustang bridge? I played a Gretsch 6122 with roller bridge for months and loved it immensely, but have found the Mustang bridge to be a good solution if you want the bridge to behave well in securing more vintage tone on a Tele. Just my opinion, the added tension a Bisgby B5 has over traditional Jag/Jazzo fare would nonetheless work really well with a properly spaced roller bridge.

And for the record, (for those who haven't upgraded their B5 Tele to Mustang saddles) you can make a Jag bridge work better if you just prep it well. First off, the overall bridge height adjustment screws on each side should be raised enough so that the saddle grub screws aren't pushing the saddles too high(which shoots the intonation screws into the sky, hitting your strings. It really is a balance of the two. In addition, once adjusted you can keep the grub screws from rattling by setting them with some light adhesive once the height balance with the bridge is down pat. Sxyryan is right as well, graphite can work pretty well at keeping the slip factor in.

Jaguar bridge and saddles in the house:

tele2.jpg

That's a Mustang bridge, not a Jaguar bridge.

Doh! I knew that but it just slipped my mind. I had Jazzmaster/ Jaguar on the brain. The Mustang bridge was a noticeable improvement over the jazz/ jag bridge, but still it seems that i can't use the bigsby to it's fullest potential. I figured a roller bridge would be the answer. Apparently there just isn't enough of a demand for a roller bridge of this type for a manufacturer to tool up and make them.

I'm going to check out the Graphtech saddles. I'm not really down with the appearance of them, but I'll slap on a chrome bridge cover and call it good. I'm wondering though, how much tone do you think the graphite saddle will suck out?

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

That pink Tele is super cool looking! :cool:

I'm wondering though, how much tone do you think the graphite saddle will suck out?

Matter of taste, I suppose, but many players claim they get improved sustain and fine tone from Graphtech saddles. My own Tele sounded better after the Graphtechs went in, separate from any effect it had on the Bigsby.