removing fingernail polish from a guitar neck!! HELP

mikerayhall

• Members

i am a silvertone collecter and i have a 1448 amp in case model, that has fingernail polish on the bottom edge of the neck, in order for the previos owner (a lefty) to have position marks on the top of the neck, since he plays upside down.

now who can tell me how to go about removing these fingernail polish dots without damaging the finish??

any help would be great!!

thanks,

mike

• Members

Unfortunately, I'm guessing your Silvertone is old enough to have a nitrocellulose finish, in which case anything that would remove fingernail polish would wreak havoc with the finish. I suspect it'll have to wear off.

I suppose you could help it along with some really fine sandpaper, like 2000 grit. It would be slow going, that's for sure.

• Members

The main ingredient in finger nail polish remover is acetone. Straight acetone would surely take the nail polish off. But if your finish is lacquer based, then it would also soften that up too. Finger nail polish remover is a milder version, infact I use it to wash my hands after working w/ super glue & it actually takes a few tries to get it all off.

If you have a poly finish on the neck, then the nail polish remover wouldn't hurt it. But that guitar is probably old enough to be lacquer. To find out for sure, go to an unseen area of the neck. (like maybe take it off & do this on the heel where it won't be seen) To test it, put a drop of lacquer thinner, or even acetone on the neck heel (or spot you've chosen) and wait a couple minutes. Then just check to see if it softened up. If it's still rock hard, then it's not lacquer & you'd be safe with the nail polish remover.

Probably even safer than using chemicals or sand paper, would be to use some really fine steel wool. It takes more elbow grease than the sand paper, but les risk of hurting the finish. Run some #0000 on those dots for a while & they will at least start to come off & then you can just see how far you can go before feeling like you'd hurt the finish undernieth them. If it's a guitar you'll be playing a lot, then just let your hand do the rest as you play it. Over time they will start to wear off on their own from playing.

• Members

If the nail poish is thick, I would use a new single edged razor blade, getting it up under an edge and flicking it off. If done properly, you wont damge the finish at all. If the ail polish is thin, you may be able to scrape it like when you remove auto paint overspray when you get your car back from the painters.

Use those reading glasses from the 99 cent store to help you see where the razor is making contact.

Clean up final residue with 0000 steel wool

Archived