Dumble-style amps - what makes them so special?

metallica_00

• Members

As we all know, the Dumble name has a lot of mystique and many famous players attached to it. They're probably most noted for the Robben Ford/Larry Carlton tone - this fantastic smooth yet biting, sustain rich overdrive tone.

I've never played an amp or amp/pedal combo that can achieve a tone like what they get. Obviously they are superior players and that is part of it, but I am good enough player where I would notice if a rig was able to generate those tonal characteristics. There is definitely something special about those sounds.

What is so unique about this design? It's not necessary *the* Dumble, because I've heard clips of clones by Fuchs, etc. that get that kind of sound. But what separates the Dumble-style amp from other designs which are usually Marshall or Fender based? Why are the only amps that can get this sound so expensive?

We don't need to get into the virtues of trying to copy someone's tone, or whether any amp is worth so much money. But the D-style amp is certainly unique - WHY?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As we all know, the Dumble name has a lot of mystique and many famous players attached to it. They're probably most noted for the Robben Ford/Larry Carlton tone - this fantastic smooth yet biting, sustain rich overdrive tone.

I've never played an amp or amp/pedal combo that can achieve a tone like what they get. Obviously they are superior players and that is part of it, but I am good enough player where I would notice if a rig was able to generate those tonal characteristics. There is definitely something special about those sounds.

What is so unique about this design? It's not necessary *the* Dumble, because I've heard clips of clones by Fuchs, etc. that get that kind of sound. But what separates the Dumble-style amp from other designs which are usually Marshall or Fender based? Why are the only amps that can get this sound so expensive?

We don't need to get into the virtues of trying to copy someone's tone, or whether any amp is worth so much money. But the D-style amp is certainly unique - WHY?

Hype is a BIG part of it. Some very fine players have used them and sound great with them. But then those great players sound great through most anything.

Also, few people have tried one, and so it becomes the stuff of legends.

• Members

They're designed a little differently than most. They have a different way of accomplishing the OD sound from most amps.

I have a Fuchs ODS30, a Dumble clone, and it's a great amp! The clean channel actually feeds the dirty channel, whereas most 2 channel amps have separate pre sections for each channel.

My amp is not really like a 2 channel amp, it's more of a hybrid. Since the clean channel feeds the dirty, you're kinda stuck with one EQ setting. As most people like to EQ each channel differently, this can sometimes be problematic.

I've had mine over a year now, and I'm thinking of getting it modded. I dial-in the clean channel to taste, but when I switch to the OD side, I'm not real happy with the sound. It's real close, but not perfect yet.

The amp come stock with a 2 channel FS that selects channel/verb. The amp also has a few push/pull pots for a mid shift & a tone stack defeat.

The settings I'm TOTALLY diggin' now are, dialing-in the clean to taste, then when switching to the OD side, defeating the tone stack.

I run an Eventide Eclipse in the loop and my verbs usually come from that, so I don't need the verb on the FS. Fortunately, Fuchs can change my switch from affecting the verb, to defeating the tone stack.

This way, I can stomp on both buttons at the same time and get the 2 tones I'm looking for.

There seem to be many clone builders making copies of this format lately, so there will likely be some used ones popping up. It's not for everyone, but for those that are looking for "that" sound, it gets it.

• Members

I think it's significantly more psychological than anything else. Fuchs and Two-Rock lack the same mystique, despite being about as close as you can get to them tonally for significantly lower cost.

It does kind of make sense though. Guys who use Dumble's are generally known for having enviable tone, and they're exceedingly rare.

• Members

There seem to be many clone builders making copies of this format lately, so there will likely be some used ones popping up. It's not for everyone, but for those that are looking for "that" sound, it gets it.

Well that's sort of what I'm saying...there's plenty of builders making similar circuits like Fuchs, Two Rock, Bludotone. And from clips I hear they do what they're supposed to do, I doubt the real Dumbles are much better. but every Dumble-style circuit is extremely expensive. Is there something inherent in the nature of the design that makes it extremely expensive to produce and replicate?

I understand what you're saying about the EQing...from reading that wikipedia link above it seems like the sound goes through the EQ, then there are a couple gain stages after that which provide the distortion on the overdrive side.

• Members

Honestly, this is such a hot-button issue that you'll probably never get much of an answer. The way I've always understood it, the enormous cost of real Dumbles is partly due to the fact that the guy custom-built them to player specifications...I also believe that the aftermarket value is way, way, way higher than Dumble himself ever charged.

• Members

Don't forget that Stevie Ray used the Dumble Steel String Singer as part of his famous tone. I think the high prices and mystique revolves around the fact that these amps were hand-made and made to order.

• Members

I think you guys are missing my point/question. Again, let me re-emphasize:

I know there will always be this myth about Dumble brand amps because of the exclusivity, the famous names, and the fact that it is likely no of us will ever play one. And this doesn't have anything to do with whether you like that tone or not, or think they're overpriced.

All valid points and arguments, but that's not what I'm asking here.

What I'm trying to ask is: why has it so far been impossible to obtain this tone at a reasonable price. Why are the clones so expensive? What is intrinsic about the Dumble design that makes that sound largely unattainable? Why have none of the major manufacturers gone after this design even though for so many it's the "holy grail"?

• Members

What is intrinsic about the Dumble
design
that makes that sound largely unattainable? Why have none of the major manufacturers gone after this design even though for so many it's the "holy grail"?

This:

TS9.jpg

+

This:

twin%20reverb.jpg

=

This:

srvsss2.jpg

Archived