fret buzz after the 12th fret

babguitargod

• Members

I have fret buzz on and after the 11th fret. Which way do I turn the truss rod to make it go away. I have turned it to the left quit a bit and it got it playable but still not the best. Did I go the wrong way any help is good help. If I don't get it to it's best potental I will have to let her go. I am having a love hate relationship with it. I don't want to do upgrades to it unless this neck issue gets resolved. Thanks I hope to get some good answers. Oh it's a Gregg Bennet Avion 3 by Samick if some of you are wondering.

• Members

Read up on neck relief. Google it. Doesn't sound like your problem entirely, but it may be part of your problem. Set the neck relief properly then look at neck angle, you may need to shim the neck (provided it's a bolt-on).

• Members

The avion 3 is a set neck, LP copy right?

So you cant do much about the neck angle.

This will probably not be a relief issue, you will likely need a fret level find a good tech and enquire about a fret level.

Turning the truss rod left slackens it and may put a lot of relief into it.

Capo the first fret hold the low e at last fret, measure over the 7th fret - the gap between top of fret and bottom of string should be IRO 8-20 thou.

Futzing with the rod too much can screw your neck, should be done 1/4 turn at a time.

Sounds like you need a tech anyway so, on second thoughts, enquire about a fret level plus a setup. Just tell them the problem in your own words.

• Members

Probly one fret thats become loose and raised up a little. If you buzz on the 12 fret but not on the 13th, 14th 15th 16th, etc etc. Then its one fret thats high. Put a block of wood on it and Tap it hard with a hammer once. If your frets are buzzing on and off up past the 11th? It could be a few thgings that no-one will be able to tell for sure without examining it? Could be a raised tongue, could need a fret level as mentioned. Maybe a Truss-Rod or saddles?

Have someone thats been at this awhile take a look at it. Techs a good idea, but you'll automatically be paying for something that may be very simple.

• Members

I had my Strat buzzing on a few frets. Raised the saddles fixed it. But I hated how it played. Took it to get repaired "right". He put a new nut that was filed lower, better, neck relief, bridge setup with G tech saddles, intonated, and fret leveled. $110. I love how it plays and stays in tune!

It would have taken me too many hours and bottles of Jack, Tylenol and other crap to do what my tech did. I'd just have more things wrong with the guitar if I did it :eek:

• Members

In my experiences buzzing like that usually comes down to a proud fret. Get a short straight edge and try rocking it across 3 frets at a time to see if one is high. Most relief issues are going to be apparent with buzzing in the lower registers, closer to the headstock or in the 6-10 fret range.

I'm betting it needs a fret level.

• Members

Most of the time raising the saddles will cure the buzz. But with a High Fret you usually have to raise them too high for the guitar to play Good.

Thats a GOOD price for what was done on your Strat. Where are you anyway? By me it would cost $1oo for a fret-level. {censored} you came of with a set of saddles and a nut which is $35.00 or more. Then the Labor? Thats a decent price.

I'd pay to have mine done for that also.

• Members

thanks guys. I will look into it. Probally gona cost 200 bucks here in Canada. So it might be a unload to someone who doesn't care much. I will raise the action and see if I can live with it. If not I will get rid of it. I will keep you posted.

• Members

Action too low. Surprised the most people didn't mention that. the string height will ALWAYS be higher at the 12th fret than at the nut. Just the nature of the beast cuz the middle of the string will always vibrate the most, therefore needs more room.

• Members

Most of the buzz is gone now I adjusted the action a bit. I can live with the height I guess. It's better than trying to sell it or pay too much to fix it. I will get used to it and and I have had way worse in the past. Thanks allot for your help guys. Next will bw a new set of strings. Hey Dilin what strings do you use on the Avion. I am using the pink pack ernie balls I can't remember the name of them. I have been using them years on all my other guitars.

• Members

^I'm using D'Addario's 10s, I used to like Ernie Ball Regular Slinky, which is a bit bendier than the Addarios, but it *seemed* Ernie Ball seem to rust faster in the tropical environment which I live in.

Archived