Strat pickups in a Jaguar? Which GFS should do the trick?

Noise...

• Members

On the suggestion of someone at the Jag-stang forums, I'm looking for a cheap set of Strat Pickups to throw in my Jaguar.

Obviously, my first place to look is GuitarFetish.

Which of their Strat pups would work best for a Jaguar? I want a very vintagey sound, and I won't really be using high gain distortion. I do use a Big Muff quite often though.

If it makes a difference, it's a Jaguar HH that I'll be putting them in.

Any suggestions?

• Members

You would need a custom pickguard for those. Jaguar pickups are longer than strat pup's. SD Antiquities sound awesome, and they will get you those traditional jaguar tones you're looking for. I'd say they are worth the investment.

• Members

You would need a custom pickguard for those. Jaguar pickups are longer than strat pup's. SD Antiquities sound awesome, and they will get you those traditional jaguar tones you're looking for. I'd say they are worth the investment.

Couldn't I just put Jaguar pickup covers on them?

I'm sure the SD's are worth it, but I just don't have $250 to drop on pickups. :freak:

• Members

Couldn't I just put Jaguar pickup covers on them?

I'm sure the SD's are worth it, but I just don't have $250 to drop on pickups.
:freak:

Not really, neither the screw holes or the pole pieces would align correctly. Don't get me wrong, you could drop some strat pups in a standard jag pickguard, but you would be left with a hole around the corners. and you would have to screw the to the wood, like Jazzmasters.

I don't want to sound like a purist or anything, I like modding guitars and stuff. But I think you would be better off selling that HH and getting yourself a standard CIJ Jaguar with the money. Because, you could definitely mod the jag HH to get it to sound close to the real thing, but you'll need to do some heavy mods on it. and in the end, you will end up spending more money than you should have. Take it from me, I bought one of those HH's as soon as they got out, thinking it would be easy to swap the pups and maybe put on a standard bridge on it. However, I eventually realized it just wasn't worth the trouble, it's a real headache.

good luck!

• Members

Not really, neither the screw holes or the pole pieces would align correctly. Don't get me wrong, you could drop some strat pups in a standard jag pickguard, but you would be left with a hole around the corners. and you would have to screw the to the wood, like Jazzmasters.

I don't want to sound like a purist or anything, I like modding guitars and stuff. But I think you would be better off selling that HH and getting yourself a standard CIJ Jaguar with the money. Because, you could definitely mod the jag HH to get it to sound close to the real thing, but you'll need to do some heavy mods on it. and in the end, you will end up spending more money than you should have. Take it from me, I bought one of those HH's as soon as they got out, thinking it would be easy to swap the pups and maybe put on a standard bridge on it. However, I eventually realized it just wasn't worth the trouble, it's a real headache.

good luck!

I just want single-coils in it. :idk:

After really playing with the stock pups lately, they're just too boomy for my tastes. Aside from that, I've wanted a tort guard on the thing since I bought it.

I don't want to sell it, as I really love the guitar. I just want some single-coils in it without spending an arm and a leg. :idk:

• Members

I just want single-coils in it.
:idk:

After really playing with the stock pups lately, they're just too boomy for my tastes. Aside from that, I've wanted a tort guard on the thing since I bought it.

I don't want to sell it, as I really love the guitar. I just want some single-coils in it without spending an arm and a leg.
:idk:

In that case. You could track some used jaguar pups on ebay for cheap, maybe even a loaded pickguard.:thu:

• Members

In that case. You could track some used jaguar pups on ebay for cheap, maybe even a loaded pickguard.
:thu:

I checked - there aren't any aside from the normal SD's and some vintage ones for Black Market Kidney money. :rolleyes:

I did, however, just find a Youtube vid of a guy who seems to have gotten some SD cool-rails Strat pups to fit nicely.

[YOUTUBE]fNdpe_guXk4[/YOUTUBE]

Obviously there's some way to make at least *some* Strat sized pickups fit right.

Does anyone have any idea if the GFS pups I posted above would fit?

• Members

I want a very vintagey sound, and I won't really be using high gain distortion. I do use a Big Muff quite often though.

If it makes a difference, it's a Jaguar HH that I'll be putting them in.

Maybe you should try these...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsprlihupic.html

yhst-50206111187217_1999_12801283

They would be a drop in replacement for your humbuckers and they are split-able so you could use them as both single coils & humbuckers. I have one in my 80's Hondo copy of a Danelectro Longhorn and they sound very nice and vintage-ie.

They come in black too...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsprhugococ.html

yhst-50206111187217_1999_12589628

• Members

Maybe you should try these...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsprlihupic.html

yhst-50206111187217_1999_12801283

They would be a drop in replacement for your humbuckers and they are split-able so you could use them as both single coils & humbuckers. I have one in my 80's Hondo copy of a Danelectro Longhorn and they sound very nice and vintage-ie.

They come in black too...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsprhugococ.html

yhst-50206111187217_1999_12589628

Those could work, but then I'd have to get a custom pickguard made, as well as get some sort of coil-splitting wiring setup. I'd prefer to just switch to single-coils.

Archived