Sign in to follow this  
sahlomonic

Budget alternatives to JB, Pearly Gates?

I'm looking to get a replacement humbucker on the cheap for my budget strat buildup. Sound I'm after is a SD JB or Pearly Gates. Is there a GFS pickup comparable or another brand that has them for the budget-minded? I have a Xaviere guitar with GRS pickups and I think they sound great, but I'm unsure of what model they are. Thoughts?

I'm looking to get a replacement humbucker on the cheap for my budget strat buildup. Sound I'm after is a SD JB or Pearly Gates. Is there a GFS pickup comparable or another brand that has them for the budget-minded? I have a Xaviere guitar with GRS pickups and I think they sound great, but I'm unsure of what model they are. Thoughts?

JB and PG are a long way from each other tonally.

I'm looking to get a replacement humbucker on the cheap for my budget strat buildup. Sound I'm after is a SD JB or Pearly Gates.

The 'budget alternative' is to get one of those pickups on the 'used market'.

when you say "budget minded" - what is the price range you reasonably expect to pay?

serious question - because the price of a GFS pickup is one thing, and the cost of a BG-pup is another.

so:

a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates looks to go for around $95

a Seymour Duncan JB looks to go for about $73

BG-pups humbuckers look to go for around $76

("custom handwound guitar pickups")

Toneriders humbuckers look to be around $45?

(only site i found lists prices in british pounds)

GFS humbuckers look to be around $25 to $35

i personally don't know which ones from who would sound like the two sd pickups you asked about - but you might get a more targeted answer if you could narrow the price range you're looking for.

and the prices above are for new - if you looked for used, you might be able to get lower.