Fender S-1 Swiching Volumne Knob Removal.

Phaze1

• Members

Hi All. I apologize if this is a dumb question.

I'm wanting to change the pickguard on a Fender American Deluxe Strat with S-1 switching. I know the normal Fender volume and tone control knobs are pulled straight off to remove. Does the S-1 volume control knob also come off the same way? Since it has the small center piece switch I wanted to make sure I know how to remove the S-1 knob before trying.

Also any hints for removing the volume & tone knobs in general...sometimes they're hard to pull off.

Thanks for your responses!

• Members

A guy at guitar center showed me a trick: take a thin but sturdy rag. Wrap it underneath the knob, one and a half wraps, bundle the remainder of the cloth in your hand and pull straight up.

Also, StewMac makes a knob pulller. It can also be used to lift pressed bridge posts.

All that being said, I don't know for sure about the S-1, but I cannot myself imagine it cannot.

I will also mention that I've seen volume pots fail more than once when people are pulling off the knobs..ie..the knob comes up with the post attached. Always though on cheap guitars.

• Members

I had a P bass with an S1. The volume knob on it was held on with an allen screw and the S1 just kind of popped into the center like a pop in trem arm. I'd guess that with the Strat, you'd be able to just pull the knob up as normal, and the S1 would pop out with it.

• Members

A guy at guitar center showed me a trick: take a thin but sturdy rag. Wrap it
underneath
the knob, one and a half wraps, bundle the remainder of the cloth in your hand and pull straight up.

Shoestrings work great too.

Archived